View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Another new Bellett fan 

Car(s): 1970 Bellett, 1968 Bellett, Triumph Stag, 1940 Traction Avant, T Ford 1938 Pontiac plus the usual modern stuff
Hi everyone

I have followed the forum periodically over the past few years and thought I’d introduce myself.

I have a 1970 yellow deluxe which I inherited from my father who was an avid fan of the marque. He also owned a 1965 model which I learnt to drive in and which just refused to die mechanically but eventually succumbed to the tin worm in about 1995.

I’ve done quite a bit of work to the “yellow peril” – a respray, re-upholstered seats, new carpet and I rebuilt the engine giving it an 82mm bore and fitting Gemini pistons, conrods and bearing. I also “blueprinted” the engine, measuring carefully all clearances and matched pistons and rods down to 1 gram. I farmed out all rotating parts to a machine shop for balancing. If anyone is considering the same rebuild, I have all the information on clearances etc. Stainless extractors completed the rebuild. The combination of bigger bore, compression and extractors gives noticeably more torque. It revs very smoothly and has only done about 5000 miles on the motor in the last five years. The biggest trip it’s done was with some friends a few years back just after the rebuild (they took a Triumph Stag and a 240Z) from Hobart over Bass Strait, through North West Victoria, South Australia and the Great Ocean Road.

It’s currently back sitting in my garage until I get the time to put the finishing touches to a mild cam installation and Weber 34DMS upgrade. And then there’s the brakes to think about……….

I also have a Mk 1 Triumph Stag which I rebuild for my wife’s birthday three years ago, a 1940 Light 15 Citroen ( all done but awaiting reassembly!) a late 30s Pontiac and a T Ford. Guess which one is my favourite…. You were right!!

I’m about to start the engine build for my other Bellett, a 1968 model destined to become a Group N historic racer. All the necessary engine internals have arrived but it will be a few months before this project begins. I’ll keep you all updated with pics.

Attached is a photo of the “yellow peril”, fitted with 14 inch late 70s Corolla wheels.

Regards
Andrew

Attachments:
Isuzu Bellett.jpg
Isuzu Bellett.jpg [ 21.5 KiB | Viewed 12632 times ]

Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:01 am

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
welcome, im sure that i am not the only one keen to hear about the engine rebuild, i have a 1600 motor im waiting to rebuild! good looking beast you have there!

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:23 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Hi Andrew,
Great to have a new car to look at, and a new member. Seems you don't mind a bit of work, and with that list of cars you'll have plenty of it!
Thanks for showing, & please show us more. Looks like a Tas plate - Rod will be stoked!
Cheers, Matt.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:52 pm

Car(s): Isuzu Bellett, VG Commodore Ute, Custom Chopper
Welcome Andrew - nice neat Deluxe you have there - looking forward to the photos of the Group N Racer.....

Cheers,
Neil

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:44 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): 68gt coupe , 98 toyota prado
yea welcome another tassie bellett ehthusiest that makes it 2 or 4 if u count the two heads , :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:41 pm

Car(s): 1970 Bellett, 1968 Bellett, Triumph Stag, 1940 Traction Avant, T Ford 1938 Pontiac plus the usual modern stuff
Hi rod
I'd like to see the Gt one day.

I think I saw a grey one in Sancy Bay road a few years ago and haven't seen it since. It may have been a visiting one. i guess yours is white?
Andrew

Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:52 pm

gday andrew and welcome.
great looking sedan mate!

if u need any help with set up for the Group N racer, just sing out.
u'd be surprised what little tweeks can be done to make them handle and stop better, especially for track use.
racing my own sedan for the past 12 or more years has taught me a few things!

cheers.
brett.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:33 am

Thanks Brett

Any assistance would be much appreciated, especially with 12 years experience!!
I'm not phased by engine stuff as it is all logical but suspension set up and handling is in the same category as auto transmissions to me - there seems to be more magic than reason involved!!

The proposed racer has lived in the family for many years, being bought as a complete goer for $99 many years ago as a donor vehicle.

One day it dawned upon me - why not an entirely different kind of resto job? and a group N racer seemed the ideal way to go. I have read that disc brake fronts were an option on the sedan but would need to prove it under the regulations. If I could it would solve a lot of brake issues but am prepared to spend a lot of time if necessary getting the drums working properly (if that's possible!). Am just awaiting the arrival of inlet and exh valves from USA and that will complete the parts list but should be starting on the motor about late October, early November - that will be the easy bit I think!! Thanks again for your offer of technical assistance.

Andrew

Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:11 am

no worries andrew.
ive been around race cars my whole life with my old man still owning a couple of racers himself, bellett's in any form for about 35 years, my own bellett's for over 20, and as said, have raced mine for 12 or more now.

yes, discs were an option, and is easy to prove with the correct factory documentation, with i have here. they are the same as GT discs and calipers, which causes a headache..... that being finding a set, because it means a GT goes without them, and in today's bellett world, not a likely thing.... also, the whole upright is different between the sedan and GT, so the GT items are needed too, not just the discs and calipers....
the drums aren't actually too bad if you do the right things with them. applying some 2010 technology to them makes them work pretty well, and after all, they race EH holdens and other things that are bigger and heavier the a bellett in group n with them still, and they have no probs now. even a guy from QLD races a V8 customline in group n with drums!
suspension wise, as they are very different to most cars (at the rear at least), they have their own problems that need addressing differently to other cars. they do take work to get right, but on a whole, they aren't too hard to do when u know what's needed.

cheers.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:19 am

Car(s): 68gt coupe , 98 toyota prado
yes anderw mine is white i will be at the rock n roll , 50 ,s 60,s car show at longford october 3 if u in neighbourhood ,cheers rod

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]