View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Hi, my name is Glenn Percy and I finally got to join this group ! Some of you will know me already or have seen my Bellett web pages or past cars (Belletts !)

I have re-built 2 sedans and 2 GT's. Owned 3 GT's in the past and numerous sedans. Done several engine swaps over the period also. Once I sort things out a bit i will post some info and pictures of my 'old' Belletts.

glenn

Tue May 10, 2011 8:00 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 3x1965 PR20(Donkey, Jenny n Bundy) 1 1969 PR20(Percy) 2 1968 PR20(Eugine n GT Donor) 1 1968 PR91 GT, 1 1965 Wasp
Welcome Glenn and looking forward to the pics and info.

Stickman

Tue May 10, 2011 8:40 am
Profile YIM WWW

Car(s): Roman Red 1965 Sedan, Mint 67 Sedan Auto, 1967 GT , 1.5x 1967 sedans, 1968 Deluxe Sedan, 1965 Wasp Ute (Resto project)
Welcome Glenn.

Did wonder where you had been for the last 10years or so.

Still regret missing out on your Blue 67 sedan with the Twin Cam when it came up for sale.

Hope you and the family have been keeping well.

OZ (in good old SA)

Tue May 10, 2011 8:41 am

Car(s): Bellett GT, Bellett Sedan, Prince Skyline GT, Porsche tractor, Lanz Bulldog, 996 Carrera 4,Prince Miler,
Glenn,
Welcome and I am sure your previous experience with Belletts will be appreciated by all of us who use Bellett Net.. Please do not hesitate to post any pics you have of Belletts in days gone by - they are always interesting. Do you own a Bellett currently?
KB

Tue May 10, 2011 8:48 am

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
YEA WELCOME GLENN LOVE TO SEE ALL YOUR MEMORABILIA AND OBVIOUSLY YOUR KNOWLEDGE WILL BE INVALUABLE CHEERS DAVO

Tue May 10, 2011 9:05 am

Car(s): Hillman (Bellett ancestor), Rallied a Bellett in the 1970s, Owned a Gemini, Bellett GTR 1:43
G'day Glenn,

Welcome to the forum. Your name sounds familiar - I reckon our paths may have crossed some years ago via your Bellett webpages. Specifically, I think we exchanged some emails over the fitting of Bellett and other Isuzu motors to Hillmans (or possibly their cousins, Sunbeams). Does that sound familiar?

Anyway, if you are interested in the relationship between Hillmans and Belletts I have written a bit of a history on how it happened, which you can access at the Bellett history page on this forum.

Do you still have Belletts?

Cheers,

Vic Hughes, Hillman and Sunbeam Alpine owner

Tue May 10, 2011 11:05 am

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
WELCOME Glenn!!
WOW at last you have joined our fraternity, (not that you ever left it) I thought you may have started to loose interest, LOL!!

When is the next Bellett on the Menu? ;) You are not allowed to out do your last restoration :lol:
You know who this is, we communicate regularly!!
GREAT to see you are on board!!

Tue May 10, 2011 11:35 am

Car(s): Isuzu Bellett, VG Commodore Ute, Custom Chopper
Welcome Glenn,

Glad to see you have joined us.

Your wealth of knowledge and eagerness to give out Bellett info in the past has been very helpful to me.

Cheers,
Neil Ingram
Darwin

Tue May 10, 2011 9:13 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Hi to all. Thanks for the warm welcome !

I already know a few of you and in answer to the question. I don't currently have a Bellett but keeping my eyes open ! I am currently (very slowly) building a Hotrod. A 1930 Ford coupe fitted with a 5.7L Chev V8, turbo 700 trans and all that goes into bringing an old car up to speed. The car is almost at the paint stage and in fact is in primer but needs lots of small jobs doing yet. Some issues though with a knee operation and poor recovery progress have hindered that project a lot.

As most of you will know, my Belletts have never been standard (except for the 68 GT which is essentially restored and now in Daves' very capable hands. All the others had engine and gearbox swaps and i think i might have been a bit of a pioneer in that regard having probably the 1st or close to 1st Gemini engine, carb'd DOHC and efi DOHC Belletts and my last project was a turbo'd and intercooled (Piazza turbo engine/gearbox) GT but i just ran out of space with the Hotrod project also taking up garage space. By the way, fitting a Piazza engine is a VERY tight fit !! Those that re-built a car know that the amount of 'stuff' removed from the car during a re-build, can more than fill any space you have available ! So, after a lot of work done on it, it passed into another owners hands, then to another who is working on the resto now.

My current ride is a Commodore SSV Redline Ute. But I want another Bellett. My into to Belletts was as a 17yo apprentice getting a ride to work each day from Frankston to Clayton. The guy i was riding with told me his mate had bought a Bellett and what a great car it was. I had never even heard of them let alone seen one and that was the seed of my liking of the model. Some years latyer a friend at work mentioned he knew of 2 Belletts for sale in a Clayton wreckers yard. Both complet cars. We hired a trailer and hauled them home. He lost interest but mine ended up as the blus car with Gemini engine and gear box pulled from a 5000km old SL/E

Glenn

Wed May 11, 2011 12:06 am
Profile WWW

Vic, yes we have exchanged emails re Hillmans in the past.

Glenn

Wed May 11, 2011 12:08 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
:) Hello & welcome Glenn, great to see you here on Bellett.net . Your fame preceeds you as the restorer of DaveM's immaculate G.T.. I don't know if you know how much he loves that car, but I do - we have become good mates. He has had the car featured in magazines, so it is possibly the best known G.T..
When you're ready for a car, I'm sure the Melbournites will be able to find one, or at least someone on here.
:idea: Come to the Bellett nationals in Coonabarrabran. (Oct. 22-23-24) Some come in their moderns, and it is a top weekend - All the Bellett talk you can cope with! I'm sure the organisers will get an invite to you.
Cheers, Matt.

Fri May 13, 2011 11:38 am

Thanks Matt.

The white efi DOHC GT was quite a saga to build up. I started with a bent almost bare shell. No front panels at all, no interior, no guages, no engine, no bootlid, no left door, the list goes on ! But it was a GT. Sitting in a back yard with no wheels either. Very sad but I wanted a GT and that was the 1st i found for sale, so took it.

The blue sedan i built with DOHC was a great car. Carb'd though.

Glenn

Fri May 13, 2011 11:00 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Hi Glenn,

I don't know about "very capable" - "loving" is probably more appropriate as scientific tests have proven that I'm all thumbs... But it will be a cold day in hell before I sell off my Belletts!

The GT came to me a bit tired aftering being dailied in QLD for a while, then stored for almost as long.

The suspension needs some love; it's likes to tuck in even more than the average Bellett; it just doesn't ride right!

Also, the engine started doing a fair bit of clanking and complaining. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'll end up taking it out I think. I think that DOHC EFI motor might go OK in my Gemini once it's had a freshen up.

I have another engine to go in getting built at the moment, plus I have some other bits and pieces for the car that I've amassed over the last couple of years.

Thankfully the door trims and top of the dashboard are still beautiful so no work needed there.

It's got some rust coming thru in a couple of places too, so that's another reason I've taken it off the road - can't let that get any worse. I'm in a bit of a position at the moment though; you make mention that a car in pieces takes up a lot more room than a complete car...

That's one of the things stopping me from pulling it apart - it will then take up TWICE as much room!

Anyway, gotta get the Wasp driving again (just needs carby rebuild) but of more importance is the Yank cars 2lDOHC Ross and myself imported from the USA. Got to see them gone before I can play with my toys again!

Cheers Glenn thanks for joining! Good to see another old-school member of the Bellett fraternity getting on board!

Cheers,

Dave

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Sat May 14, 2011 1:17 am
Profile WWW

Hi Dave, yes, a lot of water has passed under the bridge and miles on the GT in the time since i built it Quite a while ago now but good to see it's still being looked after. Rear end is original GT but front end is sedan. Another thing that was missing ! At that time though there was no rust in the 'good' part which was amazing exce[pt for the boot floor as it had no lid and was full of water. The guy had another GT that he rallied and i think this one was an ex rally accident. I replaced the whole boot floor and rear tail light panel also.

I have some pictures of the DOHC being started for the very first time. It was on the garage floor ! It took me about 6 mths or so to figure out the wiring for it. When i got the motor it was 'complete with computer'. Complete as is in all the wires on engine and computer cut off in a bunch about 6" from the engine. I might add that ALL the wires in that loom are black. No colour coding although there were some numbers on some , i think. My educated guesses were pretty right though and she started up first turn of the key. On the floor. I will post the pictures when i find them.

glenn

Sat May 14, 2011 7:04 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Hey just to clarify, does that mean the front end is sedan with GT stub axles?

Cheers,

Dave

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Thu May 19, 2011 1:06 am
Profile WWW

sorry Dave, i think i have that wrong....it is a GT front end.

Thu May 19, 2011 6:22 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): BA Falcon, 68 Bellett
Hi Glenn,

Firstly welcome aboard, nice to hear a new/old Bellett aficionado joining us.

In amongst all the strange engines you have put in Belletts, have you done or encountered a 2.6L Rodeo enigne swap?

Cheers
Rob

Thu May 19, 2011 9:00 am

Car(s): Bellett GT,
Welcome to a great site Glen,a friend showed me your site before I had a computer,or a GT,which was a great read,for a Bellett enthusiast who had several sedans and longed for a GT.Small world,I phoned up a bloke in Brisbane sum years ago now with a GT for sale,said it was done by you,building the house at the time so money was tight,had to wait many years before Pinky came along.Then just last year scored the Peter Lyons GT in bits,got it back on the road,a credit to Peter never met him,but sure wrapt in his work,real interest here and a great bunch of guy's and girls, Gerry :D

Thu May 19, 2011 9:29 am

gerry.... that car u phoned about years ago is now owned by "dave" in adelaide.
glenn mentions this car in his posts.
glenn's next GT is now owned by "1968GT", who is named dave as well, just to confuse the dave's and glenn's GT's!!

cheers.

Sat May 21, 2011 12:21 am

Car(s): Bellett GT,
:lol: So many Dave's and Glen's,glad someone's keepin track of who's who Brett,maybe gettin a touch of the alzeimers from me Dad ;) Gerry

Sat May 21, 2011 9:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next