View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Wasp 87 introduction 

Car(s): 1964 isuzu wasp styleside, 1974 KE35 corolla coupe, 1997 subaru impreza WRX
hey guys! bloke from boost cruising with the username bellett64 mentioned this site to me after i posted a thread asking if anyone else owned an isuzu wasp......and by the looks of this site im guessing so! glad to see people loving the classics not the plastics!

Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:04 pm

waspy87 wrote:
hey guys! bloke from boost cruising with the username bellett64 mentioned this site to me after i posted a thread asking if anyone else owned an isuzu wasp......and by the looks of this site im guessing so! glad to see people loving the classics not the plastics!

welcome brendan (read your name on the boostcruising site!)
user 'bellett64' on there is user 'dave' on here.

good to see you have saved a rare car. i estimate there's less than 20 left of the original 122 that came here in 1965, so hang onto it!
have a look around the "My Bellett" section on here, as there's a few of us that have resto'd, modded or original ones about.
here's a link to mine:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=708
if you need any advise on parts or whatever for your Wasp, just ask. only too happy to help.

cheers mate, welcome aboard, and enjoy!
brett.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:46 pm

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Hey dude, that bloke was me!

Hey I moved this into the introduction section; I forgot that old section even existed... we didn't have this when that was set up.

Yeah you should find some helpful info here - we're trying to make sure that we know what parts fit what cars (eg if you need an oil filter for the stocker G150, a Massey Ferguson tractor item will fit....! Stuff like that is really handy to know) and there's no bias as to whether the cars are stocky, modded or a combination of both.

Fortunately, the Wasp shares a lot of suspension parts with the Chev LUV, so some of the chassis-related stuff is actually easier to source than the standard Bellett stuff.

There's a couple of freakish things to know when you consider that the Wasp is essentially a Bellett ute....
Differences include:
door frames (rounded at the top trailing corner rather than square)
front quarters (larger wheelarches for 14" wheels rather than 13")
grilles (heavy-duty tuff grilles vs girly alloy or stainless grilles that dent)
headlight surrounds (heavy duty again!)
bumpers (heavy duty with no chrome - different shape altogether too!)
front suspension (torsion bar vs coil spring)
rear suspension (leaf spring vs swing-axle IRS)
construction (separate chassis vs monocoque)
bench seat (flip-forward vs fixed bench or buckets)
door trims (more basic in Wasp)
front and rear brakes (massive drums vs less massive drums)
stud pattern and therefore wheels (6-stud Rodeo pattern vs 4-stud Datsun/Toyota/Mitsubishi pattern)
.... seriously the list goes on forever.

In fact, I wonder why the Wasp is even Bellett-shaped at all. The only bits that really are the same are the doors themselves (not including the frames), the dashboard and steering wheel (although Wasp had painted horn rim rather than chromed), the engine (box was different) and, uh, probably the gear stick.

You should get some good help here; there are a few Wasps getting back on the road and they have anything in them from stockers (like mine) to a Florian/Chev LUV 1600, to PR91's which is powered by a 2.0 DOHC Isuzu G200 (dark green traytop - you'll find a few pics of it on the Net).

So yeah, get that thing on the road; there were only 122 and they ain't getting any younger! Last count I did between me and another Bellett-head, we KNEW of about 14 Wasps, including people's parts cars and ones we'd spied on farms etc... That ain't many!

Cheers and may the Force bet with you.

Dave

PS - check out the brochure section coz there's some sick-arse brochures for the Wasp and the Bellett as well

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:56 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Brett, looks like we were welcoming our newest member at the same time. Oh yeah it was 1965. Damn!

Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:06 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1964 isuzu wasp styleside, 1974 KE35 corolla coupe, 1997 subaru impreza WRX
awesome guys! hopefully i wont be the last newcomer to the site either! glad to see i will definetely have a lot of help with my new project! i have pretty much no knowledge of these cars whatsoever, so any help would be great. i have learned a few things though dave! to add to your post where you said that bellett's dont look much like wasps? if you look directly at the front of them i dont think you would be able to tell which is which, from what i have seen the front ends are nearly exactly the same? if im wrong feel free to correct me!

Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:29 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Oooo styleside, - even rarer! :o I can only think of 6! (well, now 7) We love pics mate, even the 'before' type, if you get a chance. Thanks for saving it & lets know if you find you need anything.
BTW, there's a Wasp category at the Bellett Nationals! (coming in October)
Yeah, they LOOK lots like a Bellett, but so many differences, even the roofline! And the guages, similar but 'Toyo Clock', not 'Yazaki Meter'! Even the standard fuel cap is a smaller diameter!!
But the ashtray (coinbox) is interchangeable!
Cheers & welcome, Matt.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:18 pm

i am assuming you mean the ashtray in the middle of the dash? one of the first things i noticed when i first opened the door! very unusual! yeah might take some shots of it tomorrow if i get a chance. i noticed that someone had posted in one of the threads that he had never seen a factory radio from a wasp? im not entirely sure, but i think mine might still have teh original one. bit of a weird spot right under the dash! you guys will be able to ell me a lot more about the car once i put some pics up i assume. one thing that has been bugging me though: where abouts is the stamped plate that has all the details of the ute on it? cant seem to find it anywhere. got me baffled! =)

Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:06 pm

The chassis number is stamped on the chassis (not the body) approximately under the passenger side of the cabin.

It took the bloke at the rego dept a couple of goes to find it, and that was AFTER I'd hit it with a wire brush!

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:12 am
Profile WWW

i will have to have a look once i am home. i spent ages looking in the engine bay trying to find it, but to no avail. might have to get a bit dirty!

Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:39 am

Car(s): 67 BELLETT SEDAN. 66 AUTO SEDAN PARTS CAR.HAD GT NOW AT ORPHANAGE
hi there waspy where did you find the little wasp ? have you had it long ? greg at orphanage will be a good contact look forward to its progress welcome to the site regards davo

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:48 am

thought i may as well post this up for anyone who hasnt read this, this is the original post i put up on boostcruising last week. for anyone who wants to read the full thread, here is the link: http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/ind ... pic=596110

hey guys.

was out fixing a tractor tyre for a bloke just outside of warwick a few months ago (as you do in the stix) and decided to have a look around the farm while i was waiting for the tyre to fill up with air. the bloke i was doing the tyre for was a mate from up the road so he wasnt too worried about me wandering around the place. after a few minutes of looking around the old sheds, i saw the roof of some sort of ute hiding under about 5 foot of grass. i made my way down and cleared the area a bit, stood back, had a closer look, then stood back again. for anyone that has never seen an isuzu wasp before, you might have the same symptoms. after closer inspection i noticed that pretty much everything that came original with the car was there, including the old 2 cog wind up jack and winder! although the seat covers were pretty much non existent, the overall condition of the ute wasnt too bad, considering i have seen some absolute shitheaps. i asked my mate what his plans were for it, and he gave it to me straight: if you want it take it i pushed it over there with the forklift cause it was in my way! so long story short i now own a 1966 isuzu wasp which i paid 10 bucks in fuel to pick it up. so if anyone else has any more light to shed on my situation, as i know literally nothing about it, please let me know.
cheers
brendan

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:53 am

Car(s): Roman Red 1965 Sedan, Mint 67 Sedan Auto, 1967 GT , 1.5x 1967 sedans, 1968 Deluxe Sedan, 1965 Wasp Ute (Resto project)
Cheers and welcome to the site.

Good to see another Wasp being put back on the road.

Enjoy the raves on the Isuzu's

Chris

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:40 am

so i hear! well i am glad i found it now! and im glad i found you guys too. otherwise i would still be standing in front of it scratching my head! i already have ideas rushing through my head now, so need to get this ball rolling.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:19 am

waspy, no Wasp had a factory fitted radio.
the little slot-type tray that is in the dash on them is where the radio was fitted to the Bellett deluxe (not even the standard Bellett got one!), and as the Wasp was lower on the spec list to the Bellett, they never had a radio.
the one in your car would be an aftermarket and after-fit unit.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:35 am

ah righto, no holes have been cut in the dash, which i am glad. it sits on a metal bracket that hangs underneath the dash next to the heater and fan levers, but on the passenger side, if that makes sense?

Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]