View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Belletts on Google Streetview 

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Hey guys,

I just updated the My Bellett threads for my (ex-me) Bellett GT and my Bellett Ratter sedan, showing pics I'd found of them on Google Streetview!

I thought I might post the pics here in a separate thread also in case anybody's got any other pics they wanted to add (from Google Streetview, I mean).

First is my ex-Glenn Percy, ex-Dean Beazley, ex-Dave Carey, now-owned-by-Gav Bellett65 Isuzu Bellett GT DOHC that was spied in the Shannons Insurance car park. Although apparently taken in 2009, the pics are still current on Google Streetview, South Road, Clarence Gardens (cnr Neville Ave).

I'll include a few more pics than I did in the My Bellett post.

Attachment:
Clarence Gardens - Shannons Insurance - Isuzu Bellett GT - November 2009 - 01.JPG
Clarence Gardens - Shannons Insurance - Isuzu Bellett GT - November 2009 - 01.JPG [ 105.18 KiB | Viewed 9307 times ]

Attachment:
Clarence Gardens - Shannons Insurance - Isuzu Bellett GT - November 2009 - 02.JPG
Clarence Gardens - Shannons Insurance - Isuzu Bellett GT - November 2009 - 02.JPG [ 96.5 KiB | Viewed 9307 times ]

Attachment:
Clarence Gardens - Shannons Insurance - Isuzu Bellett GT - November 2009 - 03.JPG
Clarence Gardens - Shannons Insurance - Isuzu Bellett GT - November 2009 - 03.JPG [ 99.85 KiB | Viewed 9307 times ]

Attachment:
Clarence Gardens - Shannons Insurance - Isuzu Bellett GT - November 2009 - 04.JPG
Clarence Gardens - Shannons Insurance - Isuzu Bellett GT - November 2009 - 04.JPG [ 102.86 KiB | Viewed 9307 times ]

Attachment:
Clarence Gardens - Shannons Insurance - Isuzu Bellett GT - November 2009 - 05.JPG
Clarence Gardens - Shannons Insurance - Isuzu Bellett GT - November 2009 - 05.JPG [ 104.05 KiB | Viewed 9307 times ]

Attachment:
Clarence Gardens - Shannons Insurance - Isuzu Bellett GT - November 2009 - 06.JPG
Clarence Gardens - Shannons Insurance - Isuzu Bellett GT - November 2009 - 06.JPG [ 119.44 KiB | Viewed 9307 times ]

The Ratter has actually shown up twice!

First is a photo also at Shannons Insurance. Google says copyright 2009, however the photos of the GT show November 2009, so I really don't know when these pics were taken. Interestingly, the day was dark and grey... but one click away and they changed to a different day... sunny and bright... AND with my VY SS Sandman in the car park!

This must have been a weekend... chains were up and there are no boss's cars in the car park! Car next door is not a Capella... it's actually a Mazda 616. Same car, but was an NZ-delivered model with no headrests (1976... so it SHOULD have had them to get local rego - must have came in a long time ago before anyone noticed that kind of thing!). The girl who owns it has since sold it. It was her daily and was getting a bit shabby, unfortunately.

Attachment:
VY SS Sandman on Streetview outside Shannons Insurance - 01.JPG
VY SS Sandman on Streetview outside Shannons Insurance - 01.JPG [ 102.16 KiB | Viewed 9307 times ]

Attachment:
VY SS Sandman on Streetview outside Shannons Insurance - 02.JPG
VY SS Sandman on Streetview outside Shannons Insurance - 02.JPG [ 98.51 KiB | Viewed 9307 times ]

Attachment:
VY SS Sandman on Streetview outside Shannons Insurance - 03.JPG
VY SS Sandman on Streetview outside Shannons Insurance - 03.JPG [ 101.59 KiB | Viewed 9307 times ]

It's a bit unclear; I think Google's camera technology has increased since then, but it's over there next to the T/L's CV8 Monaro and next to a customer car (I assume... bonnet is up).

Attachment:
Google Streetview - Bellett at Shannons.JPG
Google Streetview - Bellett at Shannons.JPG [ 52.27 KiB | Viewed 9307 times ]

The car in the foreground is the senior T/L's old Mazda 3 MPS. I got a couple of drives of that thing. Ball-tearer; clearly faster than my 5.7 litre V8 Holden SS Sandman... although it did like to change lanes when you put the power down.

Lastly, the Ratter Bellett also shows up in Bagot Street, North Adelaide. This must have been during the time Sarah and I were dailying the car to work and back. Sarah would park it outside her work most days, however they've now shifted offices to King William Street in the city which is exclusively NO PARKING, obviously (very busy road... lots of buses and bus stops!).

Google have since updated this Streetview picture as well, so the Bellett no longer shows up there. Lucky I took screen shots!

Attachment:
Google Streetview - Bellett Bagot Street.JPG
Google Streetview - Bellett Bagot Street.JPG [ 79.34 KiB | Viewed 9307 times ]

Attachment:
Google Streetview - Bellett Bagot Street 2.JPG
Google Streetview - Bellett Bagot Street 2.JPG [ 83.66 KiB | Viewed 9307 times ]

So that's it... I think. I remember seeing AJ's Isuzu 117 parked out the front of his house on Google Streetview, but I've since forgotten his address and also wonder if it's still there on Google. They really should give the option of looking back into the previous photos. Give it 50-100 years and it could be a valuable historical resource!

If you drive your Bellett pretty regularly, check out some of the addresses you visit. You might be surprised what you find!!!

Cheers,

Dave

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:25 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
Hey Dave, definitely old Shannons as the buildings don't look like that anymore :shock:

And what WAS the Pano doing at the establishment with ladies Mazda parked next to it on a weekend with the gate chain drawn shut......hmmmmm ;) ;)

Yeah, it would be uber cool for Blue Beastie, or GTR Frog, or anyone elses Isuzu for that matter, to be found on street view.

B.

Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:23 am

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Just going thru my photos and found another one I'd saved.

This one is from a site called "Nearmaps". You may have seen it; it's like Google Earth, except that they refresh the photos every month or so for metro areas (yes, even Adelaide). They also date the photos specifically.

Back when the last QLD floods occurred back in 2011 (or thereabouts), a friend of mine, Dan, had just imported a Nissan Cefiro from Japan. It was due to land in Brisbane, then be trucked to Adelaide. Unfortunately the freight forwarder's office got flooded to the gills and they lost the paperwork AND the computer records as to where his car was.

He found Nearmaps, then found a photo of the docks and actually located his uniquely purple Nissan Cefiro!!! He was then able to call them AND TELL THEM WHERE THE CAR WAS!!!!

Anyway, no such excitement for me, thankfully. However a photo dated October 2009 shows a certain Isuzu Wasp in the Shannons car park!

Attachment:
Clarence Gardens - Shannons Insurance - Nearmaps photo - Isuzu Wasp in carpark - 19 October 2009 - with arrow.jpg
Clarence Gardens - Shannons Insurance - Nearmaps photo - Isuzu Wasp in carpark - 19 October 2009 - with arrow.jpg [ 121.68 KiB | Viewed 9250 times ]

It's not that obvious... I've cropped it. I don't remember a giant red arrow on the road, mind you, but it must have been there.

Cheers,

Dave

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:27 pm
Profile WWW

Hmm. Turns out all free access to www.nearmap.com has ended. It used to be free, then it was free for individuals but not businesses.... well, they were interesting photos, but I'm sure they're not interesting enough for me to pay for!

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]