View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Black Jellybean 

I am going to start this as a new topic as the car is no longer for sale, it is now owned by my son Michael and I.

It has also picked up a name (Black Jellybean).

The following is some interesting and confusing aspects of the car.

This car has the chassis number PR204060888, engine number G150351749.

The engine has an Alloy Rocker Cover with push on oil cap, low starter motor, adapter plate on the water pump, tin sump but a breather connection in the side of the block that would normally go to the breather on the side of the Rocker Cover, but is piped straight into the inlet manifold, G150 in Raised letters next to the Isuzu emblem just above the fuel pump, .

We replaced this hose and it sucked in with vacuum causing heaps of exhaust smoke (blue/grey).

If this is a 66 1/2 model, would it have had a 3 or 5 bearing as original because the engine in the car has exactly the same engine number as the spare 3 bearing block given to us with it which does not have a breather orifice on the side of the block and also doesn't have the G150 in raised letters next to the Isuzu Emblem on the side of the block like the engine in the car as well as the (5 Bearing) motor in the 63 model we are restoring, this one does have all the 5 bearing stuff, alloy sump, breather etc.

We have also been supplied with a 3 bearing crank and one spare head with small (17mm) holes and one with large (19mm) holes.

There are a few mysteries to be solved, the engine in the car is supposed to be fitted with Gemini Pistons, BUT, just what is the engine in the car.

Ted (Teditor) Freeman

Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:33 am

Another inspection, some more sill and underbody rust, play in a steering rack joint and we have to remove the seatbelts that are in it because seat belts are illegal in a 1966 model car.

Unless of course we have a certification for them (so we will be looking at inertia reel).

I am racking my memory as to how we used to take up the slack in the steering racks, can anyone bring me back up to speed please.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:08 am

Car(s): 1967 bellett gt, wasp trayback , 2018 d-max 4x4 dual cab LSU, 2016 Focus, 1996 GQ Patrol
Hi Ted,
If it is the inner rack joints that have play in them, then you can just shim them with washers. They have a load spring.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:04 am
Teditor wrote:
Another inspection, some more sill and underbody rust, play in a steering rack joint and we have to remove the seatbelts that are in it because seat belts are illegal in a 1966 model car.

Unless of course we have a certification for them (so we will be looking at inertia reel).

I am racking my memory as to how we used to take up the slack in the steering racks, can anyone bring me back up to speed please.

So what they are saying Ted is that your not allowed to have any seat belts fitted in that year model unless you have a mod plate?

Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:01 pm

The car was roadworthied in WA with the belts and everything as is, but here in QLD we have to take the belts out for it to be legal.

If we want seat belts, they have to be certified by an engineer.

Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:51 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Teditor wrote:
The car was roadworthied in WA with the belts and everything as is, but here in QLD we have to take the belts out for it to be legal.

If we want seat belts, they have to be certified by an engineer.

did it only have lap belts ?

I had mine engineered but I had to because of it being an 'import'. I had to fit lap sash front and rear. He passed my front mounting shown above and for rear i had to make a bracket that goes back into the rear wheel wells. In rear the lower mounts are in the body behind the seats. Not sure if that applies to earlier cars. For the front, the 3 points are in the body also. I think early models may require drilling of the B pillar?

Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:02 am
Profile WWW

It has Lap/Sash belts front and rear, the 'B' pillar is drilled for the upper mount, the rear belts have been installed in a weird way that calls for "OUT COMPLETELY!" under the QLD regs.

Once registered, there is no annual inspection or anything, but you can of course be pulled over at random, I think this is more likely to happen if Police don't see you wearing seat belts, guess we will find out once we get it passed.

Documentation will be carried as discussion with some other early model car owners has come up with having to explain to Police just what is and isn't allowed.

Just like the question about a SAAS steering wheel we have, its not compliant, we asked compliant with what, it has to have an ADR certificate even though the car doesn't.

I am a bit wary about changing the spark plugs, they might knock it back if they aren't made in 1970, otherwise ADR compliant sparkies may have to be sourced.

All in the fun of wanting actual cars you drive as opposed to current mobile 600hp computerised 'safe' Deathtraps that anyone with money can buy.

Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:16 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Teditor wrote:

I am a bit wary about changing the spark plugs, they might knock it back if they aren't made in 1970, otherwise ADR compliant sparkies may have to be sourced.

:lol: :lol:

Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:50 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Interesting, Tracy's dad calls Belletts "jellybean cars".
Every state is different. In NSW we need a blue slip from an inspection station. Seat belts are not required if not fitted
originally, but are OK if they are there, as long as they function properly.(good buckles, not frayed, etc)
You can buy new standards approved taylor made inertia reel belts in a range of colours from Hemco in Ballarat. Just send the measurements and pics of mounting locations. The ones in the florian were $122 front and $110 rear in 2011.
Just rego it without the belts, then fit them yourself, I reckon.Cheers, Matt.

Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:05 pm

Matt,

The aim is to get the car roadworthy in the requested dangerous method, then once its registered, we will make it safer.

The Black Jellybean name came from a Model Train Club member, he also named the Falcon the Big Banana due to its Yellow colour.

He is a disabled person but is a great asset to the club and was made a Life Member, when he saw the car and gave it a name immediately, we said "Yep, that's the Black jellybean!".

Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:16 pm

Question time,

Is there any replacement available for the Nylon? headlight adjusters.

How about the rear bumper side mount rubbers.

Has anyone found a replacement mudguard repeater blinker that goes straight in or looks original.

Are there spares available through Japan, or do they hoard them?

Ted.

Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:25 am

Thought a bit of an update might be in order, just a wee bit worse than expected, but we have come this far, no stopping now.

Attachments:
Bellett-Lite-Resto-12.jpg
Bellett-Lite-Resto-12.jpg [ 228.03 KiB | Viewed 36032 times ]
Bellett-Lite-Resto-11.jpg
Bellett-Lite-Resto-11.jpg [ 588.63 KiB | Viewed 36032 times ]
Bellett-Lite-Resto-10.jpg
Bellett-Lite-Resto-10.jpg [ 429.37 KiB | Viewed 36032 times ]
Bellett-Lite-Resto-09.jpg
Bellett-Lite-Resto-09.jpg [ 553.87 KiB | Viewed 36032 times ]
Bellett-Lite-Resto-08.jpg
Bellett-Lite-Resto-08.jpg [ 579.07 KiB | Viewed 36032 times ]
Bellett-Lite-Resto-07.jpg
Bellett-Lite-Resto-07.jpg [ 524.2 KiB | Viewed 36032 times ]
Bellett-Lite-Resto-06.jpg
Bellett-Lite-Resto-06.jpg [ 488.22 KiB | Viewed 36032 times ]
Bellett-Lite-Resto-05.jpg
Bellett-Lite-Resto-05.jpg [ 507.98 KiB | Viewed 36032 times ]
Bellett-Lite-Resto-04.jpg
Bellett-Lite-Resto-04.jpg [ 554.04 KiB | Viewed 36032 times ]
Bellett-Lite-Resto-03.jpg
Bellett-Lite-Resto-03.jpg [ 526.44 KiB | Viewed 36032 times ]
Bellett-Lite-Resto-02.jpg
Bellett-Lite-Resto-02.jpg [ 521.75 KiB | Viewed 36032 times ]
Bellett-Lite-Resto-01.jpg
Bellett-Lite-Resto-01.jpg [ 520.5 KiB | Viewed 36032 times ]

Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:59 am

Yeah, that is a bit of a collection of rusty bits. It looked so good, but no doubt plenty of cars have patched over rust. Glad the price was right, softens the blow a bit.
Good on you for getting stuck into it. You will have a nice car before too long.
Cheers, Matt.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:02 am

Teditor wrote:
Question time,

Is there any replacement available for the Nylon? headlight adjusters.

How about the rear bumper side mount rubbers.

Has anyone found a replacement mudguard repeater blinker that goes straight in or looks original.

Are there spares available through Japan, or do they hoard them?

Ted.

Hey mate, I don't know of any replacement adjusters, but I might have a couple kicking around. I would have to search.
Bumper side mounts are hard to find as they usually weld themselves in. I don't have any.
94 magna blinkers look ok, but have a rectangular base that requires cutting of metal. I have a few faded originals. Bulb dye can freshen them up.

Cheers, Matt.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:14 am

http://www.bellett.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1898#p15705

This topic may help with parts searches from Japan.
Cheers, Matt.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]