View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Ted Freeman's First Bellett 

I decided to place the First Bellett I had (teardrop 65) and the ex Bob Drane Car (1967 Sedan) under this new subject heading, anything I have on the Squirrel, I will place in it's subject.

My first Bellett came about due to my Aunty owning it (if I remember correctly), this little gem weaned me off the Big Buick Straight Eights, with wide wheels, knock off hubs (pretend of course) a go faster stripe on each side and an exhaust that went bluuuuurrrrttttt as you went through the gears, the catalyst was set.

This is the only photo of it that I have, I will put what I have on bit by bit, if it gets boring and needs a break, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Attachments:
Ted's First Bellett that started him on an unforgettable journey..jpg
Ted's First Bellett that started him on an unforgettable journey..jpg [ 291.89 KiB | Viewed 31260 times ]

Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Here's one that had slipped my mind, this photo just sort of appeared, this was an Auto 67 Sedan, at times it carried the race motor which gave incredible speeds in the gears, 1st = 50mph, 2nd = 80mph but couldn't pull the auto past about 90 in top.

With a 1200 rpm idle, you had to sit in neutral and pull it into gear when you wanted to take off, otherwise it would hunt and stall the engine, wasn't real practical for the street, but was a bit of fun, something it was - very harsh on axle uni's.

In all honesty, I can't even remember what happened to this one.

The race motor also spent time in the WASP which was a real hoot!

Attachments:
GAM-069 67 Auto.jpg
GAM-069 67 Auto.jpg [ 228.33 KiB | Viewed 31242 times ]

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:16 am

Car(s): Bellett GT, Bellett Sedan, Prince Skyline GT, Porsche tractor, Lanz Bulldog, 996 Carrera 4,Prince Miler,
Photos like these really bring back the "feeling " of the era - keep them coming - please.
What we need is an "Album" page if it was possible where all of these old photos can be posted with just a date ,name and place.(maybe divided into half decades - it would help to show the progression of Bellett ownership and use over the years) It is interesting to see the changes in "car fashion" with all the different styles of wheels,stripes,flares,mirrors, paint jobs etc. What do you reckon?
KB

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:08 am

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
i love the knock of centres on the first one! it is great to see these old pics of the cars!

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:23 am

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
LOVE THE WHITE VYNL ROOF WITH THE STRIPS (RIBBING,) AND THEY LOOK LIKE TASMAN MAGS ...GEEZ IM GETTING OLD CHEERS AND KEEP UP THE MEMORIES

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:25 am

Car(s): Bellett GT, Bellett Sedan, Prince Skyline GT, Porsche tractor, Lanz Bulldog, 996 Carrera 4,Prince Miler,
Easiest way to repair a roof after a roll over.
KB

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:28 am

KJB wrote:
Easiest way to repair a roof after a roll over.
KB

Speaking of which - GAM-069 was a Tan coloured vinyl.

This photo shows another of my cars, George Steeden and I challenged each other on Amaroo Dirt, my car was used, that's George with a sly smirk on his face after uppending the car in the hairpin.

We took the car back to work where George and I proceeded to panel bash it back in to shape, painted it in a metallic silver and fitted a black Vinyl roof, the car made a reappearnce at the club meet just a week and a day after the Challenge (I think I might have won by default).

Ex Bob Drane car up next.

Ted.

Attachments:
George Steeden Whoopsy on Amaroo Dirt.jpg
George Steeden Whoopsy on Amaroo Dirt.jpg [ 243.14 KiB | Viewed 31217 times ]

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:52 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Great pics Ted, thanks for putting them up.
You've got me trawling old photo albums (and boxes). Found a few, but surprising how few are of car only - seem to plenty with some ex-girlfriend on the bonnet.

I remember the auto, you still had it at Shalvey when I bought the 'Hornmobile'. I seem to remember you calling it "Sludgematic". Perhaps that was before the motor transplant?

Such young faces, but of course that's as they still are in my memory!

Good ole' times!

Cheers, Matt.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:58 am

Pretty poor photo, but in the middle of the two red Belletts is the Ex Bob Drane Car under my ownership, the car to the far side is george Steedens Sedan (prior to his GT for racing), nearside is Warren Jones car. This photo may have been taken out front of the Degnan's?

Attachments:
Ex Bob Drane 67 Bellett.jpg
Ex Bob Drane 67 Bellett.jpg [ 281.39 KiB | Viewed 31198 times ]

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:33 am

Farmer wrote:
I remember the auto, you still had it at Shalvey when I bought the 'Hornmobile'. I seem to remember you calling it "Sludgematic". Perhaps that was before the motor transplant?

Cheers, Matt.

The race motor only saw a short stint in the Auto, just for kicks, wasn't what I would call real practical.

Funny, in those days, it was nothing to swap motors, gearboxes etc around just for something to do.

Ted.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:37 am

Another rather poor photo of the ex Bob Drane Car.

Attachments:
Ted Freeman's Ex Bob Drane Bellett.jpg
Ted Freeman's Ex Bob Drane Bellett.jpg [ 270.13 KiB | Viewed 31180 times ]

Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:44 am

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
'looks like a blue gt in the last photo behind the drane sedan regards davo

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:28 am

BULLITT wrote:
'looks like a blue gt in the last photo behind the drane sedan regards davo

My guess would be Garry Vandenberg, George Steeden's red sedan would be the one beside mine, and appears to be another red bellett just above the bootlid, Warren Jones?.

Ted.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:43 am

Car(s): 2 x '69 Bellett Sedans, 1 x '64 Bellett ( Sports Sedan ) 1 x '98 Jackaroo.
WOW, Great The pink panther, WJ's car, your orignal Drane car, yes may have been vando's gt, have not seen these before, keep them coming, I have seen many photos of NSW cars, if any one has any from this era please post them.
Geoff.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:02 pm

Been a bit quiet on here recently, I expected to see a bit about the upcoming Bellett Nationals, I am getting geared up ready for the journey, who from the old school can I expect to be there, be great to see some of the "Oldies".

I will start to get photos back on soon, just been very busy with my Model Train activities of late, I intend to bring the old photos along, as well as Bellettin's and some workshop manuals (and anything else I can find that's Bellettish).

Look forward to seeing you all.

Ted Freeman.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:12 pm

Car(s): not enough!
Ill be there Ted......Gary Smith...looking forward to it! :D

Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
Ah Ted, George's old sedan nick named "The "Pink Panther", would have told many stories if it could have talked!!!
Dve M.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:12 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Hey Ted,
I will be there with my family, and my brother Dennis & his Margaret. Don't know if you know Bob Bailey (not on here) - he'll be there. Not sure who else, it's always a bit of a surprise, but plenty of Queenslanders!
Hopefully some familiar faces, and some new friends. It really has become like a big family!
Cheers, Matt.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:56 am

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
See ya there Ted, arriving Friday.
Hopefully a good fine weekend, that is what the weather is saying at the moment!!
As Matt said Bob Bailey and his wife will be there, not many others from the Sydney Bellett community! Tom and Julie won't be there, their youngest boy Robert is doing his year 12 exams, staying hoem to support him. Warren J and George S are not active although members of the Sydney Club still, won't be there either.
Dave M.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:38 pm

Car(s): 2 x '69 Bellett Sedans, 1 x '64 Bellett ( Sports Sedan ) 1 x '98 Jackaroo.
Yes Guys, I am unable to attend, but who knows what, I hope you all have a great weekend, sorry to miss another, but keep us informed.
pearcesnr.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]