View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Belletts in NSW late 1970's - continued 

Car(s): 2 x '69 Bellett Sedans, 1 x '64 Bellett ( Sports Sedan ) 1 x '98 Jackaroo.
Jeff Mulligan lifts a wheel at Amaroo hillclimb, Jim Kovacs Amaroo Park, Allan Linton-Smith, behind Max Warren Oran Park BP corner, we lost 2 cars that day

Attachments:
File comment: Jeff Mulligan lifts a wheel at Amaroo hillclimb
circa 1970's 007.jpg
circa 1970's 007.jpg [ 26.83 KiB | Viewed 18178 times ]
File comment: Jim Kovacs Amaroo Park
circa 1970's 008.jpg
circa 1970's 008.jpg [ 30.99 KiB | Viewed 18178 times ]
File comment: Allan Linton-Smith, behind Max Warren Oran Park BP corner, we lost 2 cars that day
circa 1970's 011.jpg
circa 1970's 011.jpg [ 32.58 KiB | Viewed 18177 times ]
Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:20 pm

thanks for posting these pics pearcesnr!

an old thread i know, but do you have any details on allan linton-smiths car/s? specs, when, where, etc?

i believe he had the "dee why shell" bellett sports sedan later on too. was that the same car as the one you have in this pic with the mangled front? and do you any of the specs the "dee why" car had, as i know it was down here in vic. for a long time in the 90's and i used to see it alot (so i'm pretty familair with it's later specs then), but i'm wondering if the specs it had down here are the same as when linton-smith had it up there.

as a bellett racer myself, any info would be greatly appreciated as i'm very interested in these early bellett race cars!
cheers.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:05 pm

Car(s): 2 x '69 Bellett Sedans, 1 x '64 Bellett ( Sports Sedan ) 1 x '98 Jackaroo.
Hi PR91,
The sedan in the photo was destroyed, think it was running 1500cc single 45mm webber and a CIG locker, hence the contact with the concrete. Alans second sedan was 1500 powered running a SUPERCHARGER with a NSW street sign as a head gasket and olive oil for lubrication, this was a constant work in progress, though this sedan was written off by a telegraph pole on its trailer on the way to a race meeting. Alans third MR Whippy as all his sedans were called, I sold him the body for a grand total of $50.00, a lot of money for a Bellett in those days. Alan lost interest in the supercharger, and went the cheaper alternative in those days of a 12A rotary, suspension was mostly normal Bellett upgrades for the era, with 10" x 13" slick tyres. Alan enjoyed many a good race meetings with good results embarrassing many more " sofisticated " cars. Alans work commitments forced him to sell the car, and was sold onto Bruce De Boo in Vic where you would have more details of its history, though he had many good results, also with I believe was a race win in the wet. The car then came back to SYDNEY when Bruce went with a Mazda body. The car then I am led to believe had a turbo rotray and was ran in sprints here, ( I missed buying it by a week ) before it went back to Vic, and I have not seen or heard about it since.
Regards Geoff

Attachments:
ALS whippy.jpg
ALS whippy.jpg [ 2.87 KiB | Viewed 17982 times ]
Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:06 am

pearcesnr wrote:
Alan lost interest in the supercharger, and went the cheaper alternative in those days of a 12A rotary, suspension was mostly normal Bellett upgrades for the era, with 10" x 13" slick tyres. Alan enjoyed many a good race meetings with good results embarrassing many more " sofisticated " cars. Alans work commitments forced him to sell the car, and was sold onto Bruce De Boo in Vic where you would have more details of its history, though he had many good results, also with I believe was a race win in the wet. The car then came back to SYDNEY when Bruce went with a Mazda body. The car then I am led to believe had a turbo rotray and was ran in sprints here, ( I missed buying it by a week ) before it went back to Vic, and I have not seen or heard about it since.
Regards Geoff

many thanks geoff.
i met Bruce a couple of times over the years. sadly, he passed away only a couple of years ago due to the dreaded cancer.... he was a nice guy too, which is always the life goes.
when Bruce raced it down here, it was definitly a 13B turbo chook cooker in it's later life.
i was there at Phillip Island when he won that wet race. it was around 1993 from memory, and the race was the "50k plate for Sports Sedans", held as part of the "Island Magic" race weekend that runs every November. he was near on half a lap in front in a 10 lap race! nothing could touch Bruce in that Bellett in the wet. i remember he was 2nd or 3rd in the other 2 races that day, both of which were in the dry.
i actually found some pics of the Bellett from that day, so i'll scan them soon.
i know he used either some parts from the Bellett, or ideas from it with similar parts, on the Mazda (which was a series 4 RX7). that all happened around 1995-1996-ish. i know Bruce was the "Champion of Winton" for the 1997 race season, winning every O2L Sports Sedan race held there that year bar 1, but i think this was all done in the RX7.
later on, Bruce didn't like the RX7 anymore, so he got the Bellett back. That's when it came back to Victoria, but i don't know if it ever raced here again, and i too haven't heard or seen it since.
with my car being logbooked as a U2L sports sedan and being around the ASSA down here, i've got some contacts, so i'll do some checking around, and see what else i can find out.
cheers.
brett.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:47 am

Car(s): bellett sports sedan
Hi i now own allens old car and am trying to get photos and information on the car from the mid 80s so i can race it in group u historic

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]