View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Car Graphic August 2012, Big Bellett Article 

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
I have received just photocopies of an article in the August 2012 issue of Car Graphic magazine (Japanese).
http://www.hlj.com/product/NGNCG1208

I did not find the magazine listed on the US or Japan Amazon websites.

28 pages. This is a magazine that looks like it is larger format/paper than either US or European letter size paper. It looks like 50% text, 50% photos. Photos range from almost a full page to thumbnail.

Titled: "The Glare of the Japanese Sport Cars".

Just observing what pops out, this covers:
Bellett R6 Spider
Bellett R6 Coupe
Bellett MX1600 I
Bellett MX1600 II
1964 Bellett GT
117 Coupe
Bellett Sports Wagon (small mention)
Isuzu/Chevy R7 (mentioned in racing history)
Bellel (mentioned in racing history)
Bellett GTX (mentioned in racing history)
Interview with Shigeki Asaoka
Interview with Tom Tjaarda

There are pictures of the race cars on the track and the MX1600 I on the test track, including some details of the front active aero wing that raises up on the nose just in front of the pop up headlamps.

This looks like another one of those big articles that the magazines are rushing to get written before the designers, drivers, and people who were there to see the things happen first hand, pass away.

I am going to have a lot of deciphering work to do over the winter.

Last edited by JT191 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:51 pm

Car(s): Too bloody many!!!!
If you are interested in getting copies (however many you want) let me know.

Most NEW magazines of this quality from Japan cost around $25-$30 each landed including Nostalgic Hero, OldTimer, CG (Car Graphic) etc...

easy to source!

hard to translate!

;)

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:10 am

JT191 wrote:
I am going to have a lot of deciphering work to do over the winter.

Problem 1:
The photocopy of the second page cuts off the first three letters of text on the left side of the page. I'll have to request a scan or photo from my friend, or follow through with that plan to mail cash and request an original magazine. Meanwhile, working on other pages.

Problem 2:
Kanji is a system of symbols which fit within a 3/16" square, consisting of as many as 26 lines, which function primarily as tiny little Rorschach tests that drive persons of European descent completely insane. Haven't found a solution for this one yet...

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:17 pm

Here's what I think I figured out from the Bellett GT section of the article:

In November 1963, the 4 door Bellett Saloon 1.5 liter was introduced with unique features for the Japanese saloon class: four wheel independent suspension, rack and pinion steering, four speed with floor shifter. It was called a "sport saloon".
In April of 1964, the two door Bellett GT model was released, with shorter stroke 1.6 liter engine, twin carbs, and it was the first to wear the GT name. It would receive the affectionate nickname "BeleG".
The GT was rushed into production for the Japanese Grand Prix (No.2?). Early models received Sedan parts such as front grille, tail lamps. Maybe dash board/instrument panel (?).
Revisions for October 1964: Grille, tail lamps, fender mirrors, front disk brakes. Deleted chrome trim from windshield and rear window and rain gutters (may be explaining that these items have been excluded from the car photographed). Body colors red, ivory, and silver.
It later received a 5 bearing engine, restyling, fastback model, DOHC 1600GTR (engine from 117 Coupe), and 1800GT.

The six point star shaped hubcaps are patterned after Italian Amadori Magnesium wheels.

Whoever decided to print text in white font over the edges of the photos (grass, tree leaves...) did not plan for someone working from a B&W photocopy.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Car(s): 1966 Bellett GT, 1968 Bellett GT, 2017 Subaru Levorg 2.0 GTS
Well done JT 191 in translating the first article!
What car is that on the cover? It is very Ferrari like.. But I guess it has to be
Japanese since that is what the mag is about.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:36 pm
Profile WWW

Early GT wrote:
What car is that on the cover? It is very Ferrari like..

I hadn't paid much attention. I have a photocopy of the cover. I thought it was a Ferrari. The second line of text says "G. Giugiaro XXXXXX interview XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
I see at least one letter in the bunch that is a problem, never seen ten-tens on a letter U.

Looks a lot better than anything Giugiaro has done for the last 20 years. He should be pushing eighty years old by now. Maybe the son or the company staff...

Not sure how good some of this is going to be. The MX1600 stuff is interesting, but not as good as the race car stuff. But only a couple paragraphs about the R6 (half missing because text ran off edge of copy), and R6 Spider. The 117 Coupe stuff is a little lower on the priority scale. The end has a page interview with Asaoka, and captions to a bunch of photos.
The only good solution might be to jump on a plane, show up at a couple people's front doors, and just refuse to leave until they give up some really good racing and vehicle development stories from 50 years ago.

Morbid curiosity, U with a ten-ten won't display on my word processing program, but shows up on the browser program, and is Vu, a sound that is not supposed to exist and is always substituted as Bu. (Vu-i, comes out as Vi).
The car is the Giugiaro Brivido. Looks better with the doors up, otherwise you see that all important low-side window, designed to reveal the side of your leg to the people in the car in the next lane.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:40 pm

There's nothing like conflicting stories.

Somewhere, I mentioned working through the J's Tipo article about the MX1600. (That one I was not transcribing).
It described the MX1600 as being developed beside the R6, not just taking the grand prix car chassis, and slapping a road car body on top.

The CG article is in a little disagreement with that story. It did describe that the MX1600 was beefed up and weighed more, in order to be durable enough for use on roads. But there is a note that the pedals were moved 80 mm to the right for the MX1600II, because the original position made it difficult to drive. (As if the original pedal position were meant for a narrower body, like a grand prix car).
Now I am working through a paragraph where Tjaarda says: I went in to work one day, and Isuzu had delivered a big wooden crate containing a Bellett R6 chassis and engine, and this was to be the basis for a new midship sportscar.

It looks like the truth might be somewhere between the two.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:24 pm

Rough facts without having the text gone over by someone with better ability:

MX1600
The first prototype midship sports car in Japan.
Chassis based on R6 Coupe (aluminum monocoque), reinforced for use as a road car.
Detuned 1.6DOHC engine, 120 HP (MX1600I), 140 HO (MX1600II). New, fully transistorized ignition. Hewland FT200, five speed gearbox. ~900 kg weight.
Carozeria Ghia / Tjaarda design.
MX1600II was done in-house. Body changed from steel to fiberglass. Pop up headlights dropped because they did not comply with Japanese law. Rear suspension converted to Mac Pherson Strut.
Project abandoned due to upcoming emissions legislation.

Italian leather interior, Italian gauges, 200 MPH speedo, 8,000 rpm tach.

MX1600I development:
60 day project. 45 person staff.
Contemporary trends: Lamborghini Miura, Alfa Romeo Karaba.
Active aero front wing raised at 120 MPH to resolve problem of nose lift at high speed (several statements the spoiler was electricly actuated using a headlight motor).
Sheet metal body made by the same staff responsible for Maserati Ghibli and Detomasa Mangusta.

Bellett Sports Wagon:
Tjaarda’s university thesis project was a sports wagon, the design got him hired at Ghia. He left while the company was under Giugiaro, and was hired back as head designer when Giugiaro left. This is why the 117 and Florian were Ghia-Giugiaro, while the MX1600 and Sports Wagon were Ghia-Tjaarda.
The sports wagon was a continuation of Tjaarda’s thesis project, updated from 50’s fin and propeller plane styling to 70’s folded paper and jet plane styling. He had free reign to the point that the show car was painted his favorite color, purple.

Asaoka
Points out that his trademarks are western clothing: blue jeans, cowboy boots, and a bandana. But his speaking style defies any possible deciphering.
Rode and worked on motorcycles. Owned an Austin A50. Learned English in order to read foreign car magazines. Joined SCCJ and the MG club. Approached by Alistair Stewart concerning racing. Raced a Hillman Minx at Suzuka in 1963, and seems convinced he won (records show 5th place finish). Joined Isuzu in 1964. Worked on two stroke and diesel engines?. Transferred to testing and worked on development of R6 when prototype racing program was started.
Worked on development of Bellett 1600GT: inspiration from MG-B and Jaguar E Type, Lucas electrics, Smith meters, elaborate instrument panel.

Yukio Fukuzawa Toyota works driver
Started in racing driving Belletts.
The Bellett GT was the first choice of 007 James Bond film consultant/producer Mike Walker, for the hero car in the movie “You Only Live Twice”.
The selection seems to have been diverted by Fukuzawa to his new employer (at the time), Toyota, and with better corporate backing, the hero car became a 2000GT. (Or Isuzu’s lack of support resulted in Fukuzawa moving to Toyota…).

The best stuff is in the photo captions:

The Arrow (Aero?) Bellett: hand built Formula 2 chassis with G160 engine, driven by Asaoka to a 3rd place finish in a May, 1967 Japan GP exhibition race.

Don Nichols was an Isuzu Works driver, taking 4th place in a Bellel in the C-VI class at the innaugural Japanese Grand Prix (May 4, 1963, Suzuka). (K.D.Swisher took 2nd in C-VI in another Bellel in that same race). Don Nichols would go on to found the Advanced Vehicle Systems company and build the Shadow race cars for Can-Am and Formula 1 racing.
The team raced Belletts and Bellels in the Macau GP that year.

Dell Bellett GT: Dell Mk3 chassis with Isuzu 1579cc G160 engine. Raced in the 3rd Japanese Grand Prix.

Bellett GTX debuted at the 1968 Suzuka 12 Hour, took 6th overall and 3rd in class.
Bellett GTX Fastback, used to develop many racing parts.
August 10, 1969, Suzuka 12 Hour, one year after debut, took first place overall.

R6 interior cramped like an F1 car. The roof/gull wing door top had to be cut to allow clearance for the driver’s helmet.

R7 interior huge, like a bathtub.
R7 Can-Am car with Chevy V8, capable of 300 kph.
Body redesigned, new, more aerodynamic shell made by Isuzu Marine Manufacturing Ltd.
November 1969, took 6th place overall at Fuji World Challenge Cup.

R6 Coupe took 2nd place at 1970 Suzuka 500km.

R6 Coupes were replaced by R6 Spider(s?). Steel tube subframe added to the aluminum monocoque chassis.

Spider 2000: Third generation of R6, 2 liter (?), sponsored by Oliveri typewriter company.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:36 pm

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Awesome info JT. Just totally awesome.

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:57 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 3x1965 PR20(Donkey, Jenny n Bundy) 1 1969 PR20(Percy) 2 1968 PR20(Eugine n GT Donor) 1 1968 PR91 GT, 1 1965 Wasp
Very interesting read JT

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:18 am
Profile YIM WWW

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Hey JT does it say how many of the MX1600, MX1600II and R6 models were built, each?

There seems to be a few different pics of MX1600s and mainly a white MX1600II.

I know the R6 was probably built to order, but surely they would know how many!

Cheers,

Dave

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:51 pm
Profile WWW

dave wrote:
Hey JT does it say how many of the MX1600, MX1600II and R6 models were built, each?

There seems to be a few different pics of MX1600s and mainly a white MX1600II.

I know the R6 was probably built to order, but surely they would know how many!

Cheers,

Dave

I can't find anything in this article, but from looking at the race results, they had to have at least two R6 Coupes and two R7s, because there are races with two of each of those entered. I don't remember coming across anything with more than the single R6 Spider. The same for the 2000 Special/Spider, never more than one entered in a race.

There were at least two GTXs, because there were two entered in several different races. I thought we determined that there had to be three, because there is the Fastback car.
From the photos, the GTX did not start out with the cut rear fenders, flares, and side vents. They evolved from a tame looking cars with no grille, two headlights, and two big oil coolers in the grille openings.

I'll guess Ghia was paid only for a single MX1600-I.
It is possible that Isuzu made more than one of the MX-1600-II, but there is nothing to indicate that there was more than one.
These were fully functional cars, the MX1600-I was loose on the Tomei Expressway.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]