View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
GT from Australia in "Good" condition. 
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a "good" to "excellent" GT for sale here in Australia.

It will be a surprise present for my wife who once owned Glen's white 2 litre efi in the late 80's early 90's. Planning to use it as a weekend get around now that the 4 brats can babysit themselves.

I really don't have the mindset/time/energy to do my own rebuild but maintenance and repairs wont be an issue.

So if you have a restored car hiding away and you want it to go to a loving, long term home for a reasonable price please PM or text 0402327383.

Thanks,

Dean
Mount Stradbroke, Qld.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:10 am

The que for good GT's continues to grow I see....

What's your price range Dean, coz the days of $3k GT's are long gone?

Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:52 am
PR91 wrote:
The que for good GT's continues to grow I see....

What's your price range Dean, coz the days of $3k GT's are long gone?

Your dead right there. Inflation certainly has cured the cheap Bellett syndrome.

My price range is pretty flexible.

To get another GT of the same build quality as Glens white 2 ltr efi would be ideal. Fantastic car that lasted forever.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:51 am
Thank you to all of those who have PM'ed me over the weekend.

Although there is no one offering up their GT's, it looks like $20k is the going price for a good one.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:33 pm

Car(s): 68gt coupe , 98 toyota prado
Gunna wrote:

Although there is no one offering up their GT's, it looks like $20k is the going price for a good one.

$ 20 k for a good one bit much :D

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:33 pm

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
I guess the trick is to find one look at the last gt X new guinea rally car $2500 and that was a total rebuild ..we look at some of the fine cars greg has driven out his workshop and he did most the work himself so lewis.s pr91 was cheap x viccy or degrunchs Adelaide and gerrys gt the same it goes on sure there will be ones come up but for $2500 you get a project you are buying a shape .I sold me red gt on to greg a few years ago I bought it for under $1500 but when push come to shove greg had one of his big projects restoring it and now shes a bloody bea uty that car you wont buy for $25.000 .........my 2 bobs worth still waiting for my express ....davo

Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:52 am

rod wrote:
Gunna wrote:

is $20k too much :| if one was written off or stolen and you are a true enthusiast and wanted a gt back in your shed would you be happy with a payout of less than $20k and told to go find a new one :?: So what is one worth :?: Remembering that the last few project gt's have sold at a price that most forum members would not pay or could not afford :roll: let alone take on the project and complete it.
A Nissan of the same era sold in qld mid $30k but a bellett gt that don't sell often are worth scrap prices. While so called enthusiasts keep saying these cars are worth very little why do we waste our time and money on such worthless pieces of forgotten Japanse history in australia. Japanese people think they are quite special and actually worth owning. If I was to consider selling one of mine it would be offered to the Japanese market first as they are after quality cars in there home land.
If a gt is for sale around $10k I can drive home pm me I will buy it as that seems to be way too much to pay. Preferably with 12 months rego full tank of fuel rwc and a container of parts I would be pleased to be ripped off. Or do I spend $10k on a torana in any condition that a few thousand are still around maybe I can triple my money in a few years :?: At this rate a gt today is worth 10k and in three years maybe 5k because everyone is to tight to respect them. Food for thought :?: if we think they are worthless than the rest of the car community will think they worthless shit boxes too.
Fact a 117 can be insured for 10k more than a gt because they are very rare :roll: This I know as I watched it happen before my eyes and said if this car is worth 30k than so is a gt bellett. They are common was the basic reply. Obviously the Japanese market has not been explored I would compare the 117 market in Japan to a chrome bumper bar commodore market in Australia. You could find your colour of choice in a short time frame. A real good gt would take and cost 3 times as much.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:03 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
gt orphanage wrote:
rod wrote:
Gunna wrote:

is $20k too much :| if one was written off or stolen and you are a true enthusiast and wanted a gt back in your shed would you be happy with a payout of less than $20k and told to go find a new one :?: So what is one worth :?: Remembering that the last few project gt's have sold at a price that most forum members would not pay or could not afford :roll: let alone take on the project and complete it.
A Nissan of the same era sold in qld mid $30k but a bellett gt that don't sell often are worth scrap prices. While so called enthusiasts keep saying these cars are worth very little why do we waste our time and money on such worthless pieces of forgotten Japanse history in australia. Japanese people think they are quite special and actually worth owning. If I was to consider selling one of mine it would be offered to the Japanese market first as they are after quality cars in there home land.
If a gt is for sale around $10k I can drive home pm me I will buy it as that seems to be way too much to pay. Preferably with 12 months rego full tank of fuel rwc and a container of parts I would be pleased to be ripped off. Or do I spend $10k on a torana in any condition that a few thousand are still around maybe I can triple my money in a few years :?: At this rate a gt today is worth 10k and in three years maybe 5k because everyone is to tight to respect them. Food for thought :?: if we think they are worthless than the rest of the car community will think they worthless shit boxes too.
Fact a 117 can be insured for 10k more than a gt because they are very rare :roll: This I know as I watched it happen before my eyes and said if this car is worth 30k than so is a gt bellett. They are common was the basic reply. Obviously the Japanese market has not been explored I would compare the 117 market in Japan to a chrome bumper bar commodore market in Australia. You could find your colour of choice in a short time frame. A real good gt would take and cost 3 times as much.

Is there any estimate from the people you met in Japan of how many GT's might be left? And GTR's, other models too.

I imagine we could come up with a fairly accurate figure here in Oz, as most of us know the cars around us, add a few for ones to be discovered yet.

Certainly it seems from looking on the auction sites etc in Japan there are a lot of 117's about. Some in not so good condition perhaps. When i was looking 2 years ago (time flies!) I kept coming up with the same few Belletts over and over.

glenn

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:12 am
Profile WWW

My opinion only based on research while there.
As I said 117's are there as are vb commos here you don't see them on the road as such but if you bet me I could not find 30 for sale in a week you would loose. Maybe steel bumper commos are harder to find.
GTR as we all know is hard to spot the real deal but I knew of 2 while there 1 was not for sale but 70k was the figure I could call it mine. This car would fall in the restored class and take the gtr away from it :?: It would make it into the top 10 aussie examples. 45K was the second car you could drive it but it needed $ spent to show it off. I would put the gtr the same as here as if you really wanted a gt you could buy one. [yes 1 is for sale here atm not official but the right folding stuff will buy it]
A restored gtr replica was being finished when I visited. The body before resto :?: it would score a trophy at our nats 1st/2nd :?: it was on the market for 45K. gt's I would say I saw 15 or so for sale around the 10k mark but project cars. Unlike Australia you can restore it to boost profit there. I guess the equivalent here would be a hk Monaro pay well for it spend the money on a resto and you might make a few bucks :?: a good gt to drive around before needing a resto is hard to find. 117's you could drive here in aus $7k to $14k. Plus import
This was my observation in the isuzu time I had.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:43 am

Car(s): 68gt coupe , 98 toyota prado
great essays .....going on what I paid for mine ...and spent some time n money on it ows me under $ 10 k .....if sell for over $ 15 k im well in front ..... depend on the person what he would like to pay for these great cars ?

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:17 am

There you go Gunna 15k and Rod will part with his :?:

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:29 am

And still cheap at 15k.... Coz any other one of the same standard of Rod's will cost over 18 and as said, probably 20 or more now.
Mine cost me alot less all up than what Rod spent, but that's irrelevant coz I did 90% of it myself and was very lucky with what I started with and what it cost me.
Where the actual value of the car is concerned is what the replacement cost would be today, and to get one of the same quality would be over 20k rite now.
Some 'experts' raised eyebrows at my suggestions that the white 91 that turned up down here last year (that Lewis bought) was never worth 13-14k when I said it as it needed work to complete it and wasn't on the road.... Yet all said it was worth the 13.5k it was sold for, so it seemed the estimates were spot on, and I don't see why that would change now unless the prices had increased and certainly not decreased, so a good, complete, rego'd GT has been worth another 5k or more than that simply due to the fact it'd be a 'drive away' prospect.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:39 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Is Rod's the Blue GT? Just to get my bearings while following the discussion.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:03 am
Profile WWW

White late model. A clean example.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:21 am

Car(s): PR95 PR20 WASP SWB NH Pajero Superchrged NT Pajero BF SR6 Falcon
Here we go again, WE should have all bought one when they were NEW $3300 ea, and now we could sell it for $10000 and be 300% better off............
But wait, we couldn't afford one then because they were to dear, and we could buy a new Holden for $2000..DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA.............
WANKERS

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:37 am

Glenn wrote:
Is Rod's the Blue GT? Just to get my bearings while following the discussion.

are you thinking pr90?

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:53 am
Sorry to open such a can of worms guys :(

I'm simply after a really really good GT for my wife as a surprise present. I fully expect to pay a fair price for the effort it takes to do one of these rebuilds. My dream goal all these years was a GTR or the convertible that sold a few years ago but I don't believe anything like that would come up here in Australia in my lifetime.

So a concourse grade GT is the next level and even then that would be a miracle. "Good" condition is a realistic option.

Having had so many half projects come and go over the last 50 years, you may wonder why my handle is "Gunna". And no I wasn't a Gunnery sergeant in the army :D

Again, thanks for the PM's guys and girls.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:54 am

no can of worms :lol: the forum needs a spark now and then ;) You will find one they are not that rare you just have to put the hand in the pocket when they do.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:59 am
gt orphanage wrote:
no can of worms :lol: the forum needs a spark now and then ;) You will find one they are not that rare you just have to put the hand in the pocket when they do.

Thanks Mr. Orphanage. I'd rather leave the sparking to others.

That's what I figured. I think people hold on to their pride and joy for many reasons. I once had a GT from Glen which I swore I would never sell, however life, housing, business and kids fill up other needs and tend to change your priorities. But now those priorities have changed again.

"Hand in pocket" is ok by me. It'll be insured anyway.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:19 am

I had the same thing two cars sat in limbo while business took control and family controlled fate then I had to catch up. If that 15/20k figure in mind I have been speaking to someone about selling ;) 1. Not mine I collect not sell :roll:.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next