View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
GT from Australia in "Good" condition. 

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
gt orphanage wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Farmer wrote:
Values! Aaaargh!
So much discussion, but its all good.
My opinion is that many of us love these cars, but are not wealthy.
Cheers, Matt.

I think this hits the nail on the head.

We might slowly build up a car as finances permit, but buying one outright for what they may be worth is another thing.

I don't care what value or what people buy and sell them for as gunnas $50k my cars are not for sale. I would like to insure them for replacement value though :roll: . $30K for a 117 would see $10k to purchase 1 in japan and $20k to holiday to find the right car and import it and some change to personalise it. A gt $10k will buy you a project car and $10k change to import it, repair and paint it and graft parts of your wreck into it. A proper paint and panel job will chew $10k. If a 117 is worth 30k than so is a gt :?:

I agree with that but some will find that the costs are above what they want or have available to spend. And if you already have a car, then it would be silly not to insure it for what it's replacement value might be if you had to do it all again.

I don't think there is any basic argument about what a GT or Florian, 117, sedan etc, is worth now. The numbers floated here all seem about right. Having said that, for resale, one cannot always recoup what you spend unless it was done some years ago. eg my grey GT that Dave now has, was built for a fraction of the numbers mentioned here.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:10 am
Profile WWW

It's not a case of silly the insurance company have capped the value less than what they cost me to build.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:13 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
gt orphanage wrote:
It's not a case of silly the insurance company have capped the value less than what they cost me to build.

that IS a problem. maybe try another company ?
I have the Sport insured for an agreed value. They had no problem with it. Would have to check policy now as i don't remember what is whas. not over 20k though

Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:14 am
Profile WWW

Gunna wrote:
Wow!!!

Great comments guys.

Since 1986 when I owned my first Bellett and got know some the fraternity, I always thought you were a bunch of cheap mongrels who boasted about how cheap you bought a car but whinged about no-one wanting to pay decent money when you wanted to sell it (I say that lovingly with a smirk on my face). Good to see things have changed.

I will be happy to pay upwards of $50k for something special (and I mean SPECIAL!!!), as I would for a excellent secondhand Landcruiser for the family. There I've said it. Cards on the table and all that.

I might buy something tomorrow or in 2 years, lets see what comes out of the woodwork, if anything.

Some will think I'm just some wanker with too much money who is too lazy to put the effort into his own rebuild and your probably right. However my long term goal includes handing down four of these fantastic cars to each of my kids when their old enough to appreciate them. But only after they have been initiated on their own sedan, wasp or florian. Brett comes to mind.

I think I'm going to regret hitting the submit button now but here goes.

Hopping off my soapbox now.

And why do I come to mind?

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:28 am
Sorry to offend.

You have my number if your interested in selling.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:47 am

My cars aren't for sale Dean.
Now. Or ever.

They are willed to my daughter.... So the cars are in safe hands coz she luvs them too.
The next generation of Bellett owners is off to a good start too.

Not offended tho.
Just wonder why I came to mind, coz all my cars came from my hands (admittedly I had some help with working on them when I was younger), and even more so, from my pocket, rite from when I got my first one at 15yo.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:05 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Perhaps people are stunned!?? It's gone all quiet. :??
This is certainly a decent offer and anyone considering it shouldn't be discouraged. Those funds would allow anyone with the time and nous to track down the mythical Express or Fastback. Or...ohh woooooow...even a Florian wagon from like, Holland or somewhere! :idea: Hmmmmmm......mind running...........

Not really, my GT is unresto and to make it 'very special' would take someone very special, specialer than me at least! :roll: .........But the fantasizing is fun!

Had many PM s Gunna?? ;) :lol:

Good luck,
Matt.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:11 am

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
matt you enthusiasm is overwhelming ......with a fastback ,express,and flo wagon mate you could spend all day cleaning preening ,taking pics ....ah ...........lotto ,,,,time .............................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. davo

Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:29 pm

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
if anyone ends up with a florian wagon, they will have a new best friend!

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:23 pm

Car(s): PR95 PR20 WASP SWB NH Pajero Superchrged NT Pajero BF SR6 Falcon
If Gunna walked into my shed with 50g I am sure I could help him out. :shock: :shock:

Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:37 pm
Farmer wrote:

Good luck,
Matt.

Matt,

0 PM's.

I think people aren't taking me seriously or no one is prepared to consider selling their car at the moment. Both of which I understand.

Hobby cars can carry an extremely high emotional attachment to them, as did Glen's white GT that Wendy drove all those years. But as stated before, sometimes in life "yar just gotta move on" for whatever reason it may be. I'm just offering to buy a (or some) car/s if they become available for a fair price. What's a fair price??? Well that'll be between the buyer and the seller, with a dash of public opinion thrown in. If you were to buy good GT what would you pay? Or should I ask, if you were sell a good GT what price would you set? And everyone's answer would surely be right!

For 50k I would buy a concourse condition GTR (in any colour other than sky blue) landed on my doorstep with 12 months Queensland rego, 5 year on site warranty and a 30 year no rust guarantee. I'll supply the number plates.

Matt might buy a Florian ;) .

Dean

Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:26 am

SkY blue yuk :roll:

Attachments:
1800217_267925896706295_1495566002_n (640x425).jpg
1800217_267925896706295_1495566002_n (640x425).jpg [ 194.21 KiB | Viewed 19213 times ]
bellett 021 (640x480).jpg
bellett 021 (640x480).jpg [ 254.22 KiB | Viewed 19213 times ]
Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:36 pm

sky blue .................yummy...............

Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:06 pm

Car(s): 2 GT Belletts bellett sedan . Florian.gt project.fj Holden. Gemini.lc gtr.datsun240 z
30 year no rust gurantee . Better get Isuzu to build you one . May they will build one out of plastic . Gricey.

Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:08 pm
:D

Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:49 am

Gunna wrote:
Farmer wrote:

Good luck,
Matt.

Matt,

0 PM's.

I think people aren't taking me seriously or no one is prepared to consider selling their car at the moment. Both of which I understand.

For 50k I would buy a concourse condition GTR (in any colour other than sky blue) landed on my doorstep with 12 months Queensland rego, 5 year on site warranty and a 30 year no rust guarantee. I'll supply the number plates.

Matt might buy a Florian ;) .

Dean

Dean,
I don't think any maker could offer 30 year no rust warranty. On an old car, it's impossible. They were never ever treated in the factory for good rust protection in the first place. It's pure luck that Bellett's are relatively rust free compared to other cars of their vintage. During restoration, welding is the worst thing you can do on a car. Unavoidable though.
It sets up internal corrosion points that simply cannot ever be treated or neutralised..

Finding a GTR might be an even bigger problem though !

glenn

Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:16 am
Profile WWW

BULLITT wrote:
sky blue .................yummy...............

I love it too, car and colour.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:17 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
I can give no rust guarantee for 30 years, or however long you like!

I mean no rust guarantee, not a guarantee of no rust! ;)

- but realy it shouldn't be too hard, Doris has no rust and she is 48. Just never live near the ocean!
I don't get living near the ocean, it's dearer, storms & cyclones blow your stuff away and everything metal you own turns to crappyness!
Cheers, Matt.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:06 pm

I REMEMBER THE OLD DAYS ABOUT THE ADVERTISING .....30 YEAR GAURANTEE RUST FREE .....YEP NO PROBLEMS AND WOULD YOU LIKE THE CAR PROTECTED WITH THE MING TREATMENT AS WELL THAT ALLWAYS PRESERVES THE CARS DUCO (NOT) THE OLD DAYS OF THE RUST PROOFING YOUR CAR SMELT LIKE TONYS FISH AND CHIP SHOP AND IT RAN OUT THE JOINTS FOR WEEKS ..IT WAS GAURANTEED IT SAID SO ON THE STICKER THEY PUT ON THE WINDOW AS WELL AS THE MING STICKER ..LOOKED GOOD AND WHEN YOU SOLD THE CAR THE DEALER DIDNT GIVE A TOSS ...............COME ON DEAN YOU WILL GET ONE IT TAKES TIME ...........GREG ....I LIKE THE WAY YOU HAVE HIDDEN THE WIRES ON PATCHES NICE AND NEAT ..... CHEERS DAVO

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:48 pm
BULLITT wrote:
I REMEMBER THE OLD DAYS ABOUT THE ADVERTISING .....30 YEAR GAURANTEE RUST FREE .....YEP NO PROBLEMS AND WOULD YOU LIKE THE CAR PROTECTED WITH THE MING TREATMENT AS WELL THAT ALLWAYS PRESERVES THE CARS DUCO (NOT) THE OLD DAYS OF THE RUST PROOFING YOUR CAR SMELT LIKE TONYS FISH AND CHIP SHOP AND IT RAN OUT THE JOINTS FOR WEEKS ..IT WAS GAURANTEED IT SAID SO ON THE STICKER THEY PUT ON THE WINDOW AS WELL AS THE MING STICKER ..LOOKED GOOD AND WHEN YOU SOLD THE CAR THE DEALER DIDNT GIVE A TOSS ...............COME ON DEAN YOU WILL GET ONE IT TAKES TIME ...........GREG ....I LIKE THE WAY YOU HAVE HIDDEN THE WIRES ON PATCHES NICE AND NEAT ..... CHEERS DAVO

So "if " I was to pick something up this week in pristine condition, what would be best practice for long term rust prevention? I have faith that if people went to that much effort to rebuild their Bellett, most of the rust would have been dealt with.

I remember stinky fish oil and the snake oil Ming protection ;)

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next