View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Convertible GT 
Hi All,
I'm just wondering if anyone knows what happened to a Bellett Convertible which used to be down on the Gold Coast around 1995/6?
I could have bought it but didn't have the cash. Now I do.
I would be VERY interested in it.
Thanks,
Dean
0402 327 383 Call or Text
or PM on the forum

PS. This would be a project for my wife who adored her 2ltr DOHC GT.

Last edited by Gunna on Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:36 am

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
That sounds interesting. I wondered what a convertible Bellett would look like. There is a reference in something written by Tom Amos:
Quote:
The Bellett PR90 GT shape evolved from an early styling exercise initiated by the Yamato Japan car sales distributor (Takeda) and Isuzu employees (Inoguchi design) some of whom were also actively racing Isuzu Hillmans, Bellels and Sunbeams. Member of the group went on to be also involved in the JAF and to be part of the organisation of the first Japanese GP in 1963. The R&D department also assisted in the development and provided a crashed PR20 Sedan to Suzuki Bankin, master metal craft shop, as the basis to develop sports like car using the sedan PR20 floor pan.

Initially an open car was envisaged by the Takeda design team but, with the guidance of members of the Japan racing club, Isuzu budgets and Yamato, a Coupe was developed. Styling input came from the R&D department but a lot of the styling and inclusions were developed in consultation with the Yamato staff and the new factory race team.

I thought I saw a picture from the Japanese Car Show and Shine with a Bellett GT and Fairlady parked next to each other, and the front profile of the two looked close enough to make a person think that a Bellett convertible might look pretty good.

Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:21 pm
Thanks JT,

From what I remember, a doctor had a GT's roof cut off and 2 huge rails welded to the base to make it legal in Qld.

When I saw it was very rough and rusty and owned by some young girls, but a good base to work from.

If it's been dumped I'll have a cry and move on, but if it's still around I'd love to know were.

I could be wrong. There were no true convertibles manufactured from Izusu and this was the only modded GT known to have been done at the time worldwide (I stand corrected, see below). There was a pic from NZ of a sedan which had the back doors welded up to make a 2 door rag top.

Any leads from anyone would be most helpful.

Thanks,

Dean
0402 327 383

Gotta love a mid-life crisis.

Last edited by Gunna on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:33 pm

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Welcome to the forum!

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:29 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
There was 2 after market mods, 1 in NZ, the other is the one you talk of, not sure from there what has happened????????????????

Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:57 am
dave wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Dave.
I would like to say the forum has a good vibe to it. Well done to all.

1968GT wrote:
There was 2 after market mods, 1 in NZ, the other is the one you talk of, not sure from there what has happened????????????????

Thanks for the confirmation GT.
It's been some time since I've dealt with the Belletts and with so much else going on I'm never quiet sure I've got my story straight. Hee hee I think it's call alzheimer's. ;)

Some of the rides in here are incredable. Leaves my past cars for dead.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:32 am

Car(s): Isuzu DMax LSU, Isuzu MUX, 1979 117 Coupe.
Would this be what we are looking for?

Attachments:
Bellett%20convertable%20-%20Gold%20Coast.jpg
Bellett%20convertable%20-%20Gold%20Coast.jpg [ 18.98 KiB | Viewed 18806 times ]

Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:49 am

This is the NZ one.

Attachments:
Bellett%20Convertable%20in%20NZ%20-%20PR20.jpg
Bellett%20Convertable%20in%20NZ%20-%20PR20.jpg [ 22.67 KiB | Viewed 18805 times ]

Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:52 am

And a pink one. NZ i believe.

Attachments:
Bellett%20Convertable%20in%20NZ.jpg
Bellett%20Convertable%20in%20NZ.jpg [ 13.94 KiB | Viewed 18797 times ]

Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:53 am

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Hi 'Gunna".
I believe I know the owner of this car. I'm not sure if he watches this forum, but I don't think so. He visited once to look at a rusty shell he thought he might take the roof off to put back on his!! His feeling was , no, just restore it as it is. 8-)
I'm pretty sure he loves it & wouldn't want to sell, but I have his phone No., so I'll give him a call & tell of your interest.
At least you know it still lives.
Cheers, Matt.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:10 am
bellett65 wrote:
Would this be what we are looking for?

Indeed :D
Farmer wrote:
Hi 'Gunna".
I believe I know the owner of this car. I'm not sure if he watches this forum, but I don't think so. He visited once to look at a rusty shell he thought he might take the roof off to put back on his!! His feeling was , no, just restore it as it is. 8-)
I'm pretty sure he loves it & wouldn't want to sell, but I have his phone No., so I'll give him a call & tell of your interest.
At least you know it still lives.
Cheers, Matt.

Thank you Matt (with a huge sigh of relief),

I was very much hoping it didn't end up a Coke can in China somewhere.

Ask the owner if I could call him sometime about it, even if was to just go and drool over it :( . I'll bring my own bib and cleaning cloth. :lol:

When I sold my last GT to Dave in SA via Ebay (it was my 15th Bellett (+2 Wasps) which I'm sure isn't a record for this forum) I swore that the only Bellett I would buy again was that one. I had to quit the habbit.

It's just a thrill to see it's still alive and well.

Dean
0402 327 383
PS My other car.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:32 am

Car(s): 66 GTPR90
Hi Gunna
I believe the rag top you are looking for used to be owned by Vince Flemming from the Sydney club the went to a doctor in Hervey Bay in Queensland then I believe it went to some person on the Gold Coast in Queensland and is now owned by a forum member in Gladstone Qld

Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:38 am
P.R.90 wrote:
Hi Gunna
I believe the rag top you are looking for used to be owned by Vince Flemming from the Sydney club the went to a doctor in Hervey Bay in Queensland then I believe it went to some person on the Gold Coast in Queensland and is now owned by a forum member in Gladstone Qld

Thanks PR90,

Parts of my recollection are now coming back as that sounds very familiar.

It's good to see it's only just up in Gladstone which is about 4 hours away.

I hope the owner will give me a buzz (or I could call them) in future. I would very much like to be the next owner, even if it's in a few decades from now ;) . Although another GT might end up been sold soon and I'll find a panel beater without a passion for Belletts. Were is that powersaw?? (jk)

This is all good information and I greatly appreicate it.

Dean
0402 327 383

Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:19 am

Hi dean i know where there is one in toowoomba its been in a cattle crate wrapped in a trap for the last 20 years.The roof is already removed and it was in undercoat.I have not seen this car since 1988 but the cattle crate has not been moved i will drop in and see him after christmas.
Cheers Greg

Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:23 am
gt orphanage wrote:
Hi dean i know where there is one in toowoomba its been in a cattle crate wrapped in a trap for the last 20 years.The roof is already removed and it was in undercoat.I have not seen this car since 1988 but the cattle crate has not been moved i will drop in and see him after christmas.
Cheers Greg

Many thanks Greg,
Gee, their hiding all over the place!!
I go to Toowoomba every second week for work for a few hours, so I'd love to follow up on this as well. I assume it's a GT?
Looking forward to hearing about it after Chrissy when you have time.
Dean
0402 327 383

Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:37 pm

Location: 12,450 miles away from the Big Warehouse in Melbourne
The photos don't quite live up to the picture in my mind. It looks a little awkward with the roof cut off. The stacked convertible top doesn't help. Maybe it wants to be a roadster, with the windshield chopped to half height and a fiberglass cover over the rear seats maybe even with the little aero bumps behind the driver and passenger seats.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:20 pm

Car(s): 66 GTPR90
Hi Gunna
The GTrag top Greg Talks of in cattle crate was previously owned by us for a period of time it was red then purchased by Carol's brother sandblasted and resto started . Huge job to be done major hit in left rear corner result 3"shorter in structure, bulk rust in floor, sub frame,shokie posts & front radiator support panel to say nothing of panel rust He gave up on resto sold to a mate of his who put it in cattle crate where Ibelieve it is today as confirmed br Greg .
The job would be easy to do now if you jacked up the gearstik and built a new car around it .
The concept & looks were great but alas no strengthning was put under the car & eventually gravity took over and sag took over.
Hope this helps your quest
cheers ken

Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:49 am

Still worth the chase for the parts,if you were keen weld the back doors of a sedan set the pillar back fit the gt doors/windscreen from the gt replace the pr91 vin who would know??? we even have a spare roof turret gt doors its been butchered already.
maybe if farmer wants to sacrifice his barn find we could rebirth a pr90 we got all the bits here.where theres a will theres a way.

p.s its too late for the horn button dave R.I.P.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:01 am
[quote="gt orphanage"]
where theres a will theres a way.quote]

Ha ha, my will just got up and ran away ;)

I'm not setup for a full rebuild type project. More of a "pay money, get keys, rego papers and drive away project". Ask my wife, I'm notorious for half finished projects (just look at my user name!!!!!)

The box of spare parts GT would indeed be of great value but with the space I have available even this would be out of the question (unless I knew some with acrerage).

So unless there's someone out there who wants to put their hand up for a big project then it looks like it'll stay preserved in it's cattle crate coffin.

Thanks anyway guys,

Dean
0402 327 383

Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:51 am

one day i will post photos of one that has had a floor pan replaced inner and outer door sills door pillars all replaced with new steel rear subframe under the back seat has also been reconstructed all done in my back yard shed.with a lot of help from a staff member p.s he hates belletts. :twisted:

Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next