View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
1964/65 OR early 66 Bellett sedan 

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
All a friend of mine is looking for a running, preferably registered Bellett, must be the pear shaped tail lights, MANUAL!

Is prepared to pay a fair price for a running concern, preferably in NSW, however if the car is worth the chase he could well look at a car in Vic or lower QLD.
The person can paint and repair upholstery as long as the mechanicals are OK?

Any news is good news, please PM me if you know of a car available and I will put him in contact with the person/car!!
Thanks Guys and Ladies!!
DM.

Mon May 31, 2010 3:15 am

dave,
has garry got anything suitable?
just a thought.
cheers.
brett.

Mon May 31, 2010 9:35 am

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
Not sure who you mean Brett, Garry ?, I will check with Warren Degnan next week.
If you hear of anything please let me know, the chap wanted a GT, I told him to start looking for "hens teeth" LOL.
He ceratinly would not have paid the 13K for the PORT car.
Dave M.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:26 am

Car(s): 67 BELLETT SEDAN. 66 AUTO SEDAN PARTS CAR.HAD GT NOW AT ORPHANAGE
hi dave if he wants a gt i have one for sale certainly its nowhere near gerry belletts new toy but the price is ......right the car is ............wrong????? needs love and $13.000.00 spent on it a great project if you are 24 yrs old not as the beatles say( when im 64) regards davo in qld

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:48 am

1968GT wrote:
Not sure who you mean Brett, Garry ?,

Garry Smith. his treasure trove may be a good starting point, if he's willing, but he has a pretty good handle on other cars around the traps too.
1968GT wrote:
If you hear of anything please let me know, the chap wanted a GT, I told him to start looking for "hens teeth" LOL.

i totally agree, hens teeth is right! what amazes me nowadays is how everyone is after a GT (or so it seems), when 5 years ago, a nice-ish one down here sat for nearly 3 years with no interest...... and he only wanted $3k.
it seems like those, who are new to or are outside the Bellett world, that now want a GT just don't realise how rare they were when new (only 290 ever imported), and with the usual 40 odd years since that kills cars, i'd say there's only 40-50 left now, yet it's thought that 1 or 2 phone calls will net a good example for a few thousand dollars.
honestly, i look at it this way.......... everyone in the aussie car world knows how rare an XY Phase 3 is, and that's it's just about impossible to find one that's for sale. well, the Bellett GT is ever harder to find, simply because they were rarer when new (as stated, 290 Bellett GT's versus 300 Phase 3's), but the Phase 3 is a car that was always viewed as something to collect in later years, so there's now more of them around, but the Bellett GT was a 'throw away' car to the general population (us excluded of course!!) until a few years ago, and there's not many left as a result.
1968GT wrote:
He ceratinly would not have paid the 13K for the PORT car.

i really think this is the way GT sales will go in the future now, simply due to the realisation now that demand for a GT is out-stripping supply, which is happening in all corners of the classic car world, which pushes prices higher and higher.
i heard a good comment out the classic car world pricings a little while ago that sums it all up...:
"no 1960-70's car is worth the prices now being paid, but if that's how much the selling party can get, then that's what it's sold for."
and what then happens is that once one person gets more for their car than expected, any similar car that pops up in the future heads the same way, meaning prices continue to rise (and yes, they do peak for a while, and maybe drop very slightly, but the invaribly rise again later), but i can't see the days of $2-3k GT's ever returning.
i'll keep my ear to the ground if i hear anything down here that's available too.
cheers mate.
Brett.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:58 am

Brett,
I totally agree with all your comments, no disrespect meant to the GT purchaser of the Port car, this contact just does not have that sort of money right now, thank you for your comments.

The car he is looking for brings him back to the 60's era as it is what he had when married so many years ago, he is actually right into Chryslers has about 3, BELVEDERE, WINDSOR etc, however when he saw my GT, it renewed his interest in our cars.
I would like to get him a nice sedan and yes I will speak to Gary, I will see Gary the weekend after next.

IF we can get him a Car before the Nationals, I know he would be interested in coming along.
Catch you later,
DM.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:01 am

1968GT wrote:
The car he is looking for brings him back to the 60's era as it is what he had when married so many years ago, he is actually right into Chryslers has about 3, BELVEDERE, WINDSOR etc, however when he saw my GT, it renewed his interest in our cars.

dave,
do u remember the article i wrote for the BCCV magazine a couple of years ago, specificly who was now buying up Bellett's, mainly GT's, and how they seemed to fit into 4 distinct groups?? the guy u write of fits perfectly one of them.

for those that haven't read the article, here's a quick cut and paste from it.......:
Quote:
… While the Bellett is looked upon now as a classic, instead of a throw-away early Japanese oddity, it’s finally being seen as one of the good, early Japanese cars, but added to this, I’ve found that those looking for a Bellett fall into a few distinct categories that really weren’t as easy to define until not long ago.
I find these people are either:
1./ Those that had one when they were new, had to sell it because they needed the money for a house, growing family, etc., and now that their family is grown up and not dependants, they have some money again to go back to a Bellett,
2./ They admired the Bellett from afar when they were new and couldn’t afford one then, but now they can for similar reasons to above,
3./ They are younger people that either their parents had one and they have heard about what a great little car they were and they want one for themselves, or finally,
4./ They have stumbled upon the Bellett recently, by chance, and like what they see.

i had some good feedback on the article when it was published, so maybe i should post it on bellett.net for all to read one day.............
cheers, and looking forward to catching up soon.
brett.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:06 am

Car(s): Bellett GT,
Yes Brett, I agree with your four categories of Bellett people, I'd probably fit into category three. If I can get my son into the new GT, as he's recently got his licence, he will be a third generation Bellett enthusiast. When I bought the newest GT it did seem expensive but it's about the same price as a new Hyundai Getz drive away no more to pay, but I don't think I'll be around in 42 years to join the nostalgic two door Hyundai Getz club forum will I, that's if they have one. Getz.net just doesn't seem to have the same ring as Bellett.net and you can't just pick up a Bellett GT, or a sedan for that matter, at any car dealer. My philosophy is that things are only worth what someone will pay, I think if I could have got that NZ GTR(fake or not) landed here for 20k I'd have loved to have that too, don't tell the Mrs she thinks it's an addiction and it very well could be.

Quote from the bellett instruction book

'Sincere appreciation is hereby expressed for the purchase of an ISUZU BELLETT'

Gerry.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:24 pm

Car(s): Peugeot 206 GTi 180, Ford Fiesta, Bond Equipe 2-Litre GT, Mazda R360 Coupe, Nissan CSP-311 Silvia. PAST: Bellett 1600GT
Brett, you forgot:

5./Younger people who admired the Bellett from afar, needed money and couldn't afford one, but heard they were a great car, like what they see and want one for themselves.

:mrgreen:

Personally, having been in the hunt for a GT, I'm now gearing up for the JDM option (as soon as my wedding expenses are out of the way) unless something pops up in the interim...seems you have the choice of 6-7 cars at any one time, and prices may not be far off what people are now proposing locally, depending on the specification (1800GT is the closest in price to a local 1600GT). Import avenues seem to be (as per the US) quite well catered for now.

Dave, this may not be an option for your mate, but if so, may be worth considering if he would like something unique - aside from GT's, there are 2-door Belletts and, potentially, a Fastback! Also, heaven forbid, any number of non-Bellett oddities (I've been eyeing off some reasonably priced shovel-nose Corona Hardtops for example).

Of course, with Davo on the look out, chances are there's be a Bellett sedan brought to your attention any day now. ;)

Good luck!
Duane

Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:01 am

Brett and Duane,
I agree with you both again, however he would only buy locally Duane, thank you.

Brett, I think you should post your comments on the web, it would make for good reading and honest comment!!

I WILL hang out for him, I feel something will come up somewhere in the not too long distant future, in the sedan level I refer.
Dave M.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]