View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Bellett GT PR90 shell/project for sale... SA... $2500 

Car(s): 1966 Bellett GT, 1968 Bellett GT, 2017 Subaru Levorg 2.0 GTS
Hey OZ,
I do remember my GT doors being fairly hard to close because of the new rubbers back then .
It didn't take long for the rubbers to bed in. The doors close with normal force now anyway.

I'd like to correct your previous post. I actually spent $13k on the rebuild in 1992, Not $25k.
In the last few years Including the recent engine rebuild i have invested a further $10k.
Lewis

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:27 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
gt orphanage wrote:
i could have gone out and bought a brand new car perhaps for similar money. New with a 3 year warranty, Vs very old with no wanrranty, no spares and not a daily driver ! Yes I/we must be mad but that's why most of us are on this forum.

We love them ! Can you put a price on that? It's an emotional thing, buying a Bellett or any other car really, old or new.

glenn

The point is that the new car will be worth nothing in 5 years the bellett will have collector value. Oz bought up the fact of geminis not being worth a lot of money? if you think back 20 years ago cars held value so the younger folk drove 20 year cars that was all they could afford :?: these days a 10 year old car has very little value even though people pay a years wage for a new 1. We tow a lot of cars i.e that breakdown,hoon tows, and even for the real estates that get left in our hands to dispose of for example i have a 2002 commodore here that the realestate asked us to dump its a nice car but it must have some issue now worthless. So the gemini that oz speaks of that no one wants is only valuble to people that want them :?: not a form of daily transport.[/quote]

Everybody is different.... although we all love Bellett's. But time marches on, in 5 years for example, i will be 70. Wether the passion is still there at that age depends on health etc also. Also space considerations. Right now i have undercover accommodation for cars for 7 vehicles. That won't always be the case. Considering that few daily drive their Bellett's, the choice of a new car may not be unreasonable. And by the time that new car is 10 years old and worthless (on s/h market) is not really a concern.
The real point here is that the market for Bellett's is very small. Repeat:- Very small. And i think always will be. Cars are changing hands for more than they did but you could count on both hands how many have changed hands since i joined this forum.... maybe on one hand. How many new enthusuasts are there for these cars in the future? That is where the issue for 'values'. No interest, low value.

I know what you can spend on a car restoring it. I have been there, and maybe entering the journey again. If you think a Bellett is bad, try building a Hotrod for an eye watering, wallet opening experience !

In my case i do as much as i can myself including paint but there are always things i won't or can't tackle. There is now a problem getting rubbers for example for the cars. On (Dave's) GT for example all rubbers in the car were replaced like in Lewis's GT. Because at the time, all were available, at a cost. Now, you have to substitute if you can.

In the past, rust was much less of an issue in a Bellett but as time is marching on, it's getting worse. How many of us can do this work? If you can't, then costs will escalate very rapidly. If you can find somebody to do it that is AND know they will do a good job.

On the point of Gemini's etc being hard to sell for $1500 or less.....it's essentially because the buyers of these types of cars have moved on....... look around at the grey import Nissans etc.........plenty of them about and even better cars at relatively low cost. Buy and drive. Hardly a Gemini in sight. Same for many cars. Early Commodores used to be the car of choice for new young drivers, now they tend to buy s/h BMW's, even Mercs if they don't get the Skyline.. My Nephews are not even interested in knowing about Belletts.... never asked for a ride or drive for example. Just an old man's folly sitting in the shed.

I am not talking down Bellett's or their value, just being realistic.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:34 pm
Profile WWW

Glenn you bring the next problem up as far as body repaires and paint i painted the race car myself but i would never be happy with the finish on my gt. Panel shops are not interested in full on jobs either we send ours with all rust repairs completed but for the time and work involved panel shops want the fender benders in monday paid for on friday. The guy that did my last two cars i had to pay him every week and i was ahead in payments on the car which he then requoted half way this caused conflct and we made a deal on both cars complete hence 2 resto's in 1 year :shock: $ :shock: mybe i should have built a hot rod :roll:
As far as value ? when i tried to insure my maroon gt they would not insure for $18000 it was Dave that verified the car was worth that value the two other gt's i insured for $25 000 as this is estimated what they cost me to purchase and build not a problem it was done in 2 minutes and the maroon car was then added to this value. It would appear that the insurance value may have doubled in the last few years as we see the market raise.
I bought the other subject up last nationals as i and a few others here are second generation belletters and a handfull of younger people that are interested who will want them as they become available in the future when the original clan have no further use for them :?: When my olds drive off above to a better bellett place it will leave me with 15 registered belletts and 2 race cars plus 3 spare race cars thats a FULL orphanage, maybe the olds better give me 5 years notice so i can build more sheds :lol: Goverment funding would be good :mrgreen:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:03 pm

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
yes, value is tough, Shannons will insure the Sport for $16k but they seem to think its a GTR.... no way they could be convinced its a 2 door sedan variation on a GT. So (shudder) if i had to claim, it might be interesting. Once on road though i will take it to them and verify/confirm "insured value".

I make no claims to fame on painting though... I much prefer non-metallic colours as you can rub it back and re-coat or whatever more easily. I did do a hobby clas in painting and my 1st bellett was painted in the TAFE college. Metallic grey too.
I did all the repairs and undercoat at home in a carport. I left out all the windows etc and drove it on a permit to the class one night. Removed the head and tail lights, painted the car in 3 hours, (they had oven of course) put the lights back in and drove it home !!!!!!

With all those Bellett's you might flood the market and depress the prices ;) ;) ;) :) :) :)

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:52 pm
Profile WWW

my sister might like 1 or 2 who knows, i better change the subject my ol man looks on here from time to time :lol:
sorry Dave for hijacking this thread but it keeps it at the top of the page ;) ;) ;) ;) good advertising ;) someone will weaken :lol:

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:39 am

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
loved both of your stories ... cheers davo

Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:50 am

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
i am hoping my boys will show an interest these old cars when they are older, I know they love coming out to help daddy fix the car, but will that last until they are old enough to appreciate these cars? I hope so.

I hope that the boys will have a love of the cars and i can leave them a florian and bellett later in life (hopefully alot later!) and know that they will look after them and enjoy them like i do. My next job for the cars are child seat mounts so i can take them for drives...

(I did not know what a bellett was until i was about 19 then i bought one as a bomb to drive after writing off my Hr holden, the day after I got the bellet i was at Oz toffas place sussing them out more!)

All the best with the sale Dave!

Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:54 am

Car(s): bellett gt
How many Pr90s' is a good question? I think there is about 10 in various states. I know of at least 8.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:20 am

goldy wrote:
How many Pr90s' is a good question? I think there is about 10 in various states. I know of at least 8.

i know of 10 including this shell of Dave's and your resto Pete.
there's probably a couple more around, but as there was only ever 55 imported, i'd hedge a good bet that number wouldn't get to even 15 left....

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:06 pm

Car(s): Isuzu Bellett, Morris Minor 1000
The GT Pr90 is by looking at the photos rather cheap in my opinion it looks as though it only has a small amount of rust if it where something else for example requiring replacement of the sills and floor then the cost would be considerable, especially if you do not have the welding skills. If I had the money and space then I would definately consider purchasing such a car as this pictured I can see the honesty of it can see that nothing is full of filler and there are no nasty surprises lurking, and its rarity, fair enough it is not about outpricing ourselves but definatelly don't put the value of our precious little cars down.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2