View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
"Aunty Mary" 

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Attachment:
Found Florian  (6)_resize.JPG
Found Florian (6)_resize.JPG [ 105.12 KiB | Viewed 44390 times ]

Yeah, I know - I'm hopeless for naming cars, but it just seems to happen.
Some of you may have seen this Florian in the 'Rumor Mill' thread. ;)
She's been here for a week now but I've only had a few hours to make a start on a tidy-up.
She is a one family owner & is named after the original purchaser. She has been well cared for and I am fortunate that she only really needs a good service. I am also fortunate to have a good mate that thought of me when he found a car that he didn't have room for. :D

So I've made a start-
Attachment:
Found Florian  (7)_resize.JPG
Found Florian (7)_resize.JPG [ 122.08 KiB | Viewed 44390 times ]

First, brakes wouldn't bleed. Master Cylinder was leaking back into the booster. It's in getting sleeved & kitted. The rest of the brakes seem fine.
Next, a grease. The grease nipples are still all fitted with their little plastic covers!
Then, Carby was a bit seepy. - Some of the screws were loose, so I replaced the spring-washers.
Drained water - Nice & green. Hooray, no corrosion! Flush-out. Also heater back-flush - still clean! Remove radiator - Back-flush. Very little gunge! :D Re-fit.
Drained the oil - :| pretty mucky - and the filter - lots if sludge. Being off the road for about 12 years will probably do that! Washed out the oilcap, separator & hoses. Yep, sludgy.
After I took the 'before' pic, lifted the Tappet Cover to adjust the rattly tappets. NOW I'm looking at sludge! Wash out Cover. Tomorrow I scrape up as much sludge as possible before filling with high-detergent oil for a flush-out.

You reckon I'm having fun? You betcha! :D
Cheers, Matt.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:08 pm

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
loving it! looks to be in really good nick. has it had the fender mirrors removed? gotta love the getting to know part of having a new old car!

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:32 pm

Car(s): GT.
CONGRATULATIONS Matt, what a find!!
I had one of the first model Florians, nice car to drive, just likes to do a bit of rock and roll when pushed.
Ahhhhh, the memories!!!

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:26 pm

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
You're right Mrflibb. The getting-to-know-you exploration is much fun. Strange about the mirrors, there are no holes, so I suppose they've been closed up. Some people didn't like the mirrors, though I thought they were great in Sydney traffic when I was first driving.

Gary Carter remembers that car Dave; He remembers it being immaculate, and immaculately clean. Why am I not surprised about that?
Yeah, I imagine they are a bit rolley, "Spirit of the gentle people" after all. This may be a nice Bellett contrast - I can have sporty mood, or I can have cushy mood. The shocks feel nice & tight, so shouldn't be bouncy at least. And if it's too squishy, her white friend is fitted with a back swaybar and red front springs that look half as thick again.

*Bonus* The whole deal came with a nice stash of parts. I just had to spread 'em out on the lounge floor. (Well, Tracy was away......)
Attachment:
Found Florian  (8)_resize.JPG
Found Florian (8)_resize.JPG [ 120.11 KiB | Viewed 44355 times ]

Gotta love a bonus! ;)
Very fun! :D
Cheers, Matt.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:58 am

nice score on the spares too!
a florian definately doesnt corner like a bellett, it sort of floats/rolls around a corner, and it makes me smile!
waiting to try mine out as its got the heavy duty gas shocks all round, was going to try the old hot rod trick of 2 swaybars on the front if it rolls too much!
whats in all the isuzu labelled boxes on the left?

Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:10 pm

Car(s): Roman Red 1965 Sedan, Mint 67 Sedan Auto, 1967 GT , 1.5x 1967 sedans, 1968 Deluxe Sedan, 1965 Wasp Ute (Resto project)
dont ya love people who stach away parts even though some may not be for the car they own.
really well done, farmer. the parts are nearly as good as the car.. NEARLY!

it is such a great time bringing a good car back to everyday running condition. a very rewarding journey. keep postin those pics thanks

OZ

Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:34 am

Car(s): not enough!
very nice brother........

CONGRATULATIONS!

:D :) :mrgreen: :lol:

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:42 am
Profile YIM WWW

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
HEY MATT .........GREAT SCORE MATE ....RECKON YOU WILL GET SOME CALLS ABOUT THOSE SPARES'' MR ISUZU'' CHEERS DAVO

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:44 am

Ah Mr Flibb, I somehow knew you were gonna ask that! Pretty random-
Boxes contain: 1 set of 4 Door Handles, 1 ignition switch panel, 1 Reversing Light, 1 'Florian' Badge, Headlight Globes, and 2 Speedos - Zero miles :!:
And did you notice those NOS headlight reflectors? I reckon Aunty Mary is in for a retina replacement. 'Bing' - Bright eyes! :shock:
And good condition early flat Grille & Headlights. Maybe I can build an early-girl around them?! :P

And, yeah Davo, I know the question might come, but I reckon it's better to keep cars on the road than to hoard parts for "one day". I'll just say that my preferred transaction type is 'Barter'!
So make a 'wish list' - I know I am!

And thanks Oz, It is great that some people save bits, but then just hand 'em over with the car.
-He might have chased a few more dollars on Ebay.
But no, he's even called me up to tell me he found a few more used bits in another shed!
Good bloke. ;)

Today: De-sludged, cleaned plugs, adjusted tappets (Very rattley), new thermostat (160 F - 65 C), new oil & filter. Much fun! :D
Cheers, Matt.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:22 pm

sure did notice those spanky reflectors! they will make her shine!
were the headlight globes supplied the round style ones?
they must have just grabbed some random stuff when the dealers started to disappear!
let me know if there are any bits you need as i have a few odds and sods stashed away!
im green with envy!

Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:31 pm

Car(s): Bellett GT,
:D What a great looking machine,not to many left,good to see it
go to a good home enjoy.If you feel like a run up to QLD,Sept Jap
nationals,would be good to see Aunty Mary and family,sure we could
put you and family up for a few nights Gerry

Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:34 am

Yeah Flibbs, the globes are the round ones, but 60/75w. I'm going to see if there are halogen ones that fit.
See the Bellett DeLuxe dash with clock? Well Gary Carter was into the seller's shed before me & emerged with it in hand saying, "Dibbs on this!" I thought, fair enough, especially as he had loaned me part of the cash to complete the deal! Good havin' mates!

Just on twinning the front swaybar, George Steeden tried that on his GT back in the day, but it understeered out of the first corner. He had to remove it to finish the day. (That was a very different beast though!)

Thanks Gerry, and enjoying I am! Polished the tappet cover while watching Rockwiz last night.
Tracy made this look - :roll:
That's a nice offer there mate, but we are kind of tied to school holidays with 2 young kids & Tracy being a teacher. And we have a school camp in November as well as the Bellett Nats, so need to watch the spending! But Thanks - One of these years perhaps.
Thanks for the replies,
Matt. :D

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:31 am

Car(s): 1968 Bellett 1300 2dr, 06 Scion XA ,05 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Turbo HO
Really great find there .... love the story

and the spare parts ....... :D

It's super to see you all saving and preserving these old Isuzu's .... enjoy!

Cheers
Mark

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:35 am
Profile WWW

farmer if you get a chance to photgraph the rear swaybar on the florian id like to see it! i will try the twin front swaybar but thats just because i have a spare one! I have seen twin sway bars used to good effect on the older holdens and a few others, who knows!

one of my old florians had modern halogen globes in it but it was always hit or miss to the high beams working, but i think it was just the dodgy combination switch (they are prone to wearing out especially because they sit right where my knee goes!)
How old are the tyres on aunty mary? i havent seen that tread pattern in years!
looking forward to hearing and seeing more of you and your florian!

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:51 am

Yeah mate, the front tyres are Toyo 'Z' Radial '717 Extra Steel's (185/70 14's). They are probably a bit vintage - Mary was last registered in 1999. Not as old as the tyres were on Black Betty though, - Uniroyal Steel Cats, from the early 80's. Binned them, lots of fine cracks.
The Toyos don't show any though.

I'll try and get some pics of the rear bar tomorrow.
Cheers, Matt. :D

Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:56 pm

Forgot to mention this little bonus-

Attachment:
Found Florian  (10)_resize.JPG
Found Florian (10)_resize.JPG [ 86.59 KiB | Viewed 44246 times ]

Nice when owners pass on cool stuff like this. :)

And this one-

Attachment:
Found Florian  (9)_resize.JPG
Found Florian (9)_resize.JPG [ 89.03 KiB | Viewed 44246 times ]

Genuine replacement part: G161 Block, complete with main bearing caps & bolts :!:
Looks a bit ordinary in the pic, but that's just a little rust colour from storage. The bores are painted, and there's no engine number stamped in.
Nice bonus!

Had a couple more hours-
Fresh bottom rad hose & coolant. New fuel filter & drained tank - No gunk!
Temporary patch on exhaust - so quiet now! New wiper blades, dremmelled fuse contacts & add new fuses (old ones rusty)
* Should there be a cover on the fusebox? If so, it's on the wish list! *
Lubed all hinges locks & strikers
Very enjoyment!!
Matt.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:23 pm

yes there is a cover on the fuse box, unfortunately I no longer have a spare one it was sent to a florian that was getting restored.
Would be keen to hear or see how that florian is now?
nice score on the block might make a good coffe table in the lounge!
And a workshop manual! wow! officially i am now super envious!

Perhaps same ffuse cover on the early chev luv or Kb Isuzu utes?

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:23 pm

:idea: Of course! Must check Gary's KB - so many swappable bits. Thanks, Mr Flibb.

Not a lot of time today, but enough for a quick bath. It was time for some more photos.
After I took 'em, rubbed some polish on one back guard. Colour now matches the front one.
Gotta do the rest.

Attachment:
oneoneseven (10)_resize.JPG
oneoneseven (10)_resize.JPG [ 136.46 KiB | Viewed 44221 times ]

Attachment:
oneoneseven (9)_resize.JPG
oneoneseven (9)_resize.JPG [ 144.65 KiB | Viewed 44221 times ]

Of course there was a distraction today...........

A sexy.........red........distraction!

Attachment:
oneoneseven (2)_resize.JPG
oneoneseven (2)_resize.JPG [ 124.94 KiB | Viewed 44221 times ]

There's more about that in the 'Rumor Mill' thread.

Me enjoying? Maaaaaaaaaaaaayte!
Cheers (very), Matt.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:22 pm

i bet you have a massive grin now!
and dont tell Gary i said anything about the chev love being a parts car for the florian!

Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:26 pm

Yep, pretty grinny! But I left out one detail. The 117 is actually Gary Carters. He dropped off my mail & he let me have a drive. :)
Looks like I'll have to make a 'My (His) Isuzu thread'.

Yeah, better not rat the KB for bits - might not get any more choice drives!

Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next