View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Daryl's GT 

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Daryl was BCCV Treasurer before me and had 2 GT's. One apparently was an ex works car and I think recently sold on this forum. This is the other one.

glenn

Attachments:
Darryl_2.jpg
Darryl_2.jpg [ 59.25 KiB | Viewed 36949 times ]
Darryl_1.jpg
Darryl_1.jpg [ 60.85 KiB | Viewed 36949 times ]

Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:43 am
Profile WWW

actually, a little bit of mixed info there.
the one sold here was a 'normal' everyday GT. it never had anything to do with racing or works stuff.
this one was also a 'normal' GT when it began life, but when Daryl resto'd he put ALOT of ex-works parts in it.
this car was confirmed by the Japanese guests at the Nationals that year, but as to where the parts came from was a mystery....
until recently a few of us did some digging around.... turns out that the factory parts came off the Pat Crea white race sedan that Gav has built a replica of!
there's a very long story behind the 3 works race sedans that came to Australia and some very interesting people that were involved with them, not to mention the life of them before, during and after their racing careers, but that's where some of one of them ended up.

and Daryl's PR90 was one of my favourite cars of all time.
such a beautiful resto, and a very rare car made even rarer with the history!

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:11 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
thanks for update, i was confused. I think the blue car ended up with his son at the time.

glenn

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:13 am
Profile WWW

could have....
so much has happened in the last 25 years, and it's only in the last 2-3 that we think to document it all!

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:16 am

Car(s): Peugeot 206 GTi 180, Ford Fiesta, Bond Equipe 2-Litre GT, Mazda R360 Coupe, Nissan CSP-311 Silvia. PAST: Bellett 1600GT
Sweet! I've never seen a red one before...original?

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:15 am

Car(s): Roman Red 1965 Sedan, Mint 67 Sedan Auto, 1967 GT , 1.5x 1967 sedans, 1968 Deluxe Sedan, 1965 Wasp Ute (Resto project)
Keep digging guys. love to read more about the factory works sedans we had kicking around good old AUS.

OZ

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:50 am

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
So, where is this PR90 now?

Man, I love the front of the PR90. It's THE best looking Bellett from front on, by far.

(no offense to the 99.9% of Bellett owners that do NOT own a PR90....)

Cheers,

Dave

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:57 am
Profile WWW

no need to dig any further OZ.
all that's needed is known, including the history before, during and after their Australian racing lives.

and it's still around Dave, in Daryl's family for good.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:00 pm

Car(s): Had 1965 1500 and grew up with GT 1600 +1800's
Hi guys
This is my dad and his GT. my older brother has it now and not running. Here's some pics of it in its prime! Also some pics of his other one which has been sold to a nice fella on here I can't recall but ecstatic he's named it Daryl I'm dads honor! I hope the buyer sees this as I have pics of his Gt for him here too

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 36264 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 36264 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 36264 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 36264 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.56 MiB | Viewed 36264 times ]
Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:52 am
Profile YIM

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
lovely looking 90 where is it now ??? cheers davo

Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:57 am

Car(s): 1966 Bellett GT, 1968 Bellett GT, 2017 Subaru Levorg 2.0 GTS
Yes guys,
I drooled over Daryl's meticulously restored PR90 when I saw it at The Corowa Nationals in 1991 even though it is not an original factory colour. It gave me inspiration to own one so I extended my trip onto Melbourne that year chasing a PR 90 for sale. It all fell into place and the rest is history as they say......reborn as Rufus for the 1992 Corowa Nationals.

So is it really in Daryl's family for the long term?

Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:12 am
Profile WWW

Lewis, basically, yes.
As Sim wrote, with her brother (Daryl's son), but not running these days.

Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:51 pm

Car(s): PR90, PR91, Teardrop Bellett Sedan, 1979 Pontiac Trans Am Firebird, 1975 HJ Belmont Ute,Yamaha YB100
Hi Simmy,
Was me that bought the GT from Daryl.
Update on that GT is probably not what you want to hear but here it goes.
As Daryl kept telling when I picked up the car it has too much rust. But since then have bought a PR90 body so pretty much half of Daryl will be transferred onto the PR90. It is going to be a few more years for me to complete the project as I don't have much budget to throw at it so don't anybody hold their breath. Car will still be called Daryl, meeting him and the whole day me and the other guys had there was one of my most fun days ever so I cant change the car name can I.
I do remember Daryl saying at the time re what he called the works GT that his son was living in one of the areas of Brisbane that was flooded and that the works GT had likely been significantly water/ rust damaged from that event. Cant remember if he was talking as though he knew it had damage or assuming, don't know how long after the Brisbane flood event Daryl was telling us this but he did seem a bit upset/ angry when he was talking about the works GT.

Cheers,
Craig

Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:19 am

BULLITT wrote:
lovely looking 90 where is it now ??? cheers davo

It's still around Davo but not in Brisbane ;)

Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:28 am

hi claws
Thanks so much for update on 'Darryl'! I'm so glad your keeping the name and keeping me posted, really means a lot to me! I went to see dad today and i had him reminiscing about the PR90 and Zena (his wife) dragged out the old photo album and he was blown away with the amazing transition that took place with that car! The album shows before during and after Resto. It was originally a really light blue with a white boot lid and looked worse for wear, just a beaten up old Bellett. In reading this i have learnt a bit more. However, Dad said he never put all those race bits in it, it came all that gear! The story of how Dad got this car would be a sore point for Peter Aresgog (spellcheck on surname please lol) noticed this car at a guys house and not being driven so when Dad told him he was looking to buy a GT as he'd only ever had 1500's, Peter told him about this GT (the PR20) and suggested Dad should go speak to this guy and see if he was interested in selling it. The guy apparently brought this GT for his girlfreind and she didnt like it so didnt drive it and they had split up afterwards. So when Dad rocked up there and asked him if he was interested in selling he said yes, it was a sore point for him. Dad offered him $300! And he agreed!! Dad went home, rang Peter. Said to him" remember the GT you put me onto, well its here, i brought it, peter said oh yeah what did he sting you for it? Dad said $300 !! Peter was beside himself! lol. He said if he knew he would have brought it himself. He thought the guy would want thousands for it! So theres a lesson, dont assume, ask! So that was how he got it! Its with my Brother as we've mentioned and will stay in the family as it will be restored (again) and passed down to my nephew when he comes of age. Believe me, I've already begged my brother to give it to me and he wont lol...

Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:55 am
Profile YIM

Simmy wrote:
hi claws
Thanks so much for update on 'Darryl'! I'm so glad your keeping the name and keeping me posted, really means a lot to me! I went to see dad today and i had him reminiscing about the PR90 and Zena (his wife) dragged out the old photo album and he was blown away with the amazing transition that took place with that car! The album shows before during and after Resto. It was originally a really light blue with a white boot lid and looked worse for wear, just a beaten up old Bellett. In reading this i have learnt a bit more. However, Dad said he never put all those race bits in it, it came all that gear! The story of how Dad got this car would be a sore point for Peter Aresgog (spellcheck on surname please lol) noticed this car at a guys house and not being driven so when Dad told him he was looking to buy a GT as he'd only ever had 1500's, Peter told him about this GT (the PR20) and suggested Dad should go speak to this guy and see if he was interested in selling it. The guy apparently brought this GT for his girlfreind and she didnt like it so didnt drive it and they had split up afterwards. So when Dad rocked up there and asked him if he was interested in selling he said yes, it was a sore point for him. Dad offered him $300! And he agreed!! Dad went home, rang Peter. Said to him" remember the GT you put me onto, well its here, i brought it, peter said oh yeah what did he sting you for it? Dad said $300 !! Peter was beside himself! lol. He said if he knew he would have brought it himself. He thought the guy would want thousands for it! So theres a lesson, dont assume, ask! So that was how he got it! Its with my Brother as we've mentioned and will stay in the family as it will be restored (again) and passed down to my nephew when he comes of age. Believe me, I've already begged my brother to give it to me and he wont lol...

thas also confirms my memory of the car, when Darryl was rebuilding it. He told me he opened up the motor and found all sorts of, shall we say, "interesting" parts in it. Fully polished Rods was one thing that sticks in my mind. And no doubt balanced etc etc.

glenn

Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:56 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): BellettGT, Wasp, Florian, Piazza, Jackaroo
Hey Simone!
Good to see a bit of truth at last though the dollars vary somewhat. Tell Daryl I finally got rid of those disks he was after.

That "works" GT triggered my involvement in the formation of the BCCV and later caused others to leave... It was indeed a significant vehicle.
Now, as to the original body's whereabouts...

Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:37 pm

IZU069 wrote:
Hey Simone!
Good to see a bit of truth at last though the dollars vary somewhat. Tell Daryl I finally got rid of those disks he was after.

That "works" GT triggered my involvement in the formation of the BCCV and later caused others to leave... It was indeed a significant vehicle.
Now, as to the original body's whereabouts...

Gday,
I am going to copy this thread to show dad as hes not into the 'internet stuff'. Can you pm me who you are so I can pass on the message in case he doesn't recall the story? Thanks :)

edit: which car do you mean by the 'original body's whereabouts?'

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:40 am
Profile YIM

Hey guys,
Peter Areskog especially! I copied this post and printed off and posted up to my dad. Hes just read through it and apparently he purchased the GT for $500-$700. He said it was $300. I told him thats what he told me :lol: He said oh it was too long ago, I cant remember now, but if I told Peter $700 it must have been that then lol....
Hes enjoyed the trip down memory lane with all the info i've sent him. He has pulled out the old photo album where hes kept all the photos and info relating to the restoration of it and will be sharing all that info with me. Once i receive it all i can share with anyone who's interested.
For anyone who is aware of the GT liking itself to a submarine in a flood. You'll be happy to know this update. Its not in as bad a condition as we initially thought. Interior will need restoration. Dad thinks it didn't rust out because of all the fish oil and bituminous paint he used when he repainted it. So he will once again be up and running but not for a while yet. And my brother still wont let me have it :cry: , Why are big brothers so mean? :lol:

I remember helping him strip the old powder blue paint off it when he started restoring it and i had the job of slapping paint stripper all over the roof and was suprised there was dints/bog all over the roof where it must have been rolled at some stage prior to dad buying it. I think that was mentioned to me actually now I think about it.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:25 am
Profile YIM

Glenn wrote:
Daryl was BCCV Treasurer before me and had 2 GT's. One apparently was an ex works car and I think recently sold on this forum. This is the other one.

glenn

And a before shot lol... Mind you i think this was after he had a collision with a bulldozer! I recall my brother even had a collision with a cow. Not a car built now days would withstand that kind of punishment lol
Imagebefore shot of GT by Simone noneofurbusiness, on Flickr

Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:12 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next