View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
WHEELS DRANES... BELLETT 

When I saw the car in an ad for sale on Parramatta Road, I realised what car it was, made a deal with the car yard, if they got it registered, I would buy it.

They got it registered alright, then put the Bridgestone RA-200 Racing tyres back on as well as a half hearted exhaust, it was a real challenge driving it on the road on racing rubber, followed every rut it could find, when it was wet, what a handful, especially with the negative camber on the rear.

It also had a fairly lumpy cam and was a bit of a bear to get off the line.

Had a 253 Monaro pull up beside me on the road one day, he enquired about the high revs he heard, I stated it was for the pure reason of (screeeeeech) leaving his V8 in my dust as I wheelspun away (again, the negative camber actually helped it from bogging down with the cam).

The Belletts were a real big part of my life, I recall being pulled over by one Dave Gray who convinced me to join the club and see what went on, I was hooked.

The next photos will be of the Drane replacement on its first outing at Amaroo Park.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:55 pm

If anyone has a spare copy of the magazine, I would love to get hold of it.

This next photo shows the beginnings of a quick build to get the the Japanese series at Amaroo Park, the replacement car was cobbled together pretty quick and made its debut without receiving a paint job.

Attachments:
Bellett photos - Kamikaze.jpg
Bellett photos - Kamikaze.jpg [ 447.9 KiB | Viewed 34200 times ]

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:12 am

So, here's the new car making its debut at Amaroo Park, this is the precurser to the name Kamikaze, this photo is at the bottom of the hill on the far side of the circuit, I am turning left, left I said, oops! maybe not quite!

Attachments:
Kamikaze - 1st outing Amaroo Park.jpg
Kamikaze - 1st outing Amaroo Park.jpg [ 794.63 KiB | Viewed 34199 times ]

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:18 am

I guess this is where the name Kamikaze came from, a great debut, the car hit the bank with the rear end and then went end for end about four times, never touching the roof, although glass and lights were flying everywhere, none were broken (in the original photo there is a headlight well above the car 'I don't have the photo unfortunately, this one is a crop/enlarge').

My arm out the window is a bit alarming, I still wear a small scar from it, after seeing the photo, I remember saying that I was waving to the crowd -'showmanship'., the car finally came to rest on its wheels, I stated that if we could drive it on to the trailer, I would race it again the same day.

Attachments:
Kamikaze - Where did that name come from.jpg
Kamikaze - Where did that name come from.jpg [ 754.73 KiB | Viewed 34197 times ]

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:26 am

Well, as it turned out, the car started and drove on to the trailer, here it is back in the pits, a bit worse for wear.

Attachments:
A sad and sorry sight.jpg
A sad and sorry sight.jpg [ 488.49 KiB | Viewed 34196 times ]

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:29 am

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
MATE YOU ARE A LEGEND ....I WILL PHOTO COPY THOSE PICS FROM THE HOT UP GUIDE BOOK AND SEND TOO YOU I WILL GET YOU A BOOK SOMEHOW THEY DO COME UP FROM TIME TO TIME... PM ME YOUR ADDRESS CHEERS DAVO KEEP THOSE GREAT SHOTS COMING...YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE A THOUSAND STORIES CHEERS DAVO

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:32 am

To make sure I was true to my word, all my fellow Bellett Car Club mates got stuck into the car with hammers and crowbars.

(Left to right) Geoff Pearce (yellow cap), Dave Gray, myself, George Steeden?, sorry, forget the name, Tom Amos (glasses) and Gary Vandenberg wielding the hammer.

Well, we got it back into shape? screwed a drivers door weathershield to the bonnet as a windscreen, got the scrutineers approval and out I went.

As I recall, I got second fastest on the day. The wheels stayed with me right to the end, finally being sold along with what was the current street car in Toowoomba, QLD.

Attachments:
Back in the pits.jpg
Back in the pits.jpg [ 473.87 KiB | Viewed 34196 times ]

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:43 am

Car(s): Alfa 33, 1935 Riley Special
Priceless, Ted, absolutely priceless.

You couldn't make it up.

Any more?

Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:44 pm

he certainly is an aussie legend ...its great reading cheers davo

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:10 pm

I don't think legend comes into it, the Belletts gave me the chance to learn how to drive, and modify cars, their basis of construction was sound, but like any car, there were ways to improve them.

I made many friendships and learnt a lot about myself, it's just a shame that these early days have to go into the past, many of the photos I have are old and dilapidated, but where I can, I will attempt to share them, always keep in mind though, that the Belletts and the people involved with them were my reason for any sort of success, I still have, and cherish all my trophies, some as team members with other Bellett owner drivers.

Unfortunately, life ends, but memories go on, thanks for allowing me to share mine and hopefully preserve them well into the future as a celebration of a great car and a great part of my life.

Ted (Teditor) Freeman
aka; Mr Blow Up, Old Smokey, kamikaze, Screamin Squirrel and others, some unmentionable.

Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:12 am

ted i will send you my copy of the x drane car you deserve it ...you have done the hard work on putting our little cars right up there cheers davo

Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:30 am

Car(s): 2 x '69 Bellett Sedans, 1 x '64 Bellett ( Sports Sedan ) 1 x '98 Jackaroo.
Ted, what can I say, those pics return many memories, what a challenging time is was a few tears and many laughs along the way, Geoff. PS was the other chap in the last photo Allan Ongley ?

Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:24 pm

Could be Geoff, I think he may have been a Colt Fastback or Galant owner.

I will be putting more photos up shortly, just been a bit busy.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:57 pm

In the photo of the car being worked on on the trailer, I think it may have been Allan Linto-Smith, not George Steeden, and the second fastest statement should have said "IN CLASS".

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:27 pm

What a pleasant New Years surprise when I went to the Post Office today, there was a card for me to pick up a parcel.

Said parcel was from 'Davo' Mitchell, upon opening it I discovered Wheels Hot-Up Guide Number Four (the one where it looks like the chick is about to clobber the boy friend under the car with a spanner), inside, last story on page 62 "Booming Bellett", coverage of the Bob Drane Group C Bellett that I eventually owned (and unfortunately destroyed).

Interesting reading, the car was taken a lot further in development, deviating from Group C specs as tested in the magazine.

A very nice (and sentimental touch) message was written on the back of the envelope "Sorry I'm late with this Ted, enjoy it mate, it was part of your life, Davo". More than you could ever imagine Davo, many thanks.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:24 am

GLAD IT ARRIVED .....KEEP SOME MORE OF THOSE HOLLYWOOD SHOTS ....THE ARM OUT THE WINDOW IS A BEAUTY ......I CAN JUST SEE YOU "" NA MATE ITS ALL GOOD ..JUST A LITTLE BIT OF TROUBLE "" WOOPS ...AND IT WAS WOOPSIE .....YOU ENTERTAINED THE CROWD ..PERFECTLY ... BACK TO THE PITS BIT OF HAMMER WORK AND OFF AGAIN GREAT STUFF ...CHEERS DAVO

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:47 am

Some more photos of the Kamikaze Car, my apologies if there are any repeats, either here or elsewhere.

I have been going through the photos and have found more of the Drane Car, more of the Squirrel, and more of other members cars, I can continue here with them or start a new post for Other Members cars and various events.

Again, due to my computer knowledge, I will post each photo separate.

The stark interior of Kamikaze, seat, belt, steering wheel, gauges.

Attachments:
Bellett photos - Kamikaze.jpg
Bellett photos - Kamikaze.jpg [ 601.46 KiB | Viewed 33919 times ]

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am

At some stage, we fabricated a lift off front end.

Attachments:
Bellett photos - Kamikaze1.jpg
Bellett photos - Kamikaze1.jpg [ 612.75 KiB | Viewed 33918 times ]

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:31 am

There is a caption on the back of the photo stating this is a 1584cc GT engine, with the factory carbs by the look of it, dated May 1976.

Attachments:
Bellett photos - Kamikaze2.jpg
Bellett photos - Kamikaze2.jpg [ 636.66 KiB | Viewed 33918 times ]

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:34 am

Let me know if I am boring you, I don't want this to just be a 'me' thing!

8th May 1976 at Oran Park for the 1st round of the Japanese Series.

Attachments:
Bellett photos - Kamikaze3.jpg
Bellett photos - Kamikaze3.jpg [ 612.14 KiB | Viewed 33916 times ]

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next