View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
GT from Australia in "Good" condition. 
Farmer wrote:
I can give no rust guarantee for 30 years, or however long you like!

I mean no rust guarantee, not a guarantee of no rust! ;)

- but realy it shouldn't be too hard, Doris has no rust and she is 48. Just never live near the ocean!
I don't get living near the ocean, it's dearer, storms & cyclones blow your stuff away and everything metal you own turns to crappyness!
Cheers, Matt.

True Matt, oceans are for surfers and sharks and fishermen.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:09 pm
Glenn wrote:
Gunna wrote:
Farmer wrote:

Had many PM s Gunna?? ;) :lol:

Good luck,
Matt.

Matt,

0 PM's.

I think people aren't taking me seriously or no one is prepared to consider selling their car at the moment. Both of which I understand.

For 50k I would buy a concourse condition GTR (in any colour other than sky blue) landed on my doorstep with 12 months Queensland rego, 5 year on site warranty and a 30 year no rust guarantee. I'll supply the number plates.

Matt might buy a Florian ;) .

Dean

Dean,
I don't think any maker could offer 30 year no rust warranty. On an old car, it's impossible. They were never ever treated in the factory for good rust protection in the first place. It's pure luck that Bellett's are relatively rust free compared to other cars of their vintage. During restoration, welding is the worst thing you can do on a car. Unavoidable though.
It sets up internal corrosion points that simply cannot ever be treated or neutralised..

Finding a GTR might be an even bigger problem though !

glenn

Hi Glenn,

I couldn't agree with you more. Spot welding technics have improved over the years with technology and robotics giving consistency however there will always be ways corrosion will work it's way in.

My paradox is that $50 k should buy something like the quality of a secondhand $100k car. I wouldn't except rust coming out of a 2011 prado or something like.

Dean

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:17 pm

Gunna wrote:
BULLITT wrote:
I REMEMBER THE OLD DAYS ABOUT THE ADVERTISING .....30 YEAR GAURANTEE RUST FREE .....YEP NO PROBLEMS AND WOULD YOU LIKE THE CAR PROTECTED WITH THE MING TREATMENT AS WELL THAT ALLWAYS PRESERVES THE CARS DUCO (NOT) THE OLD DAYS OF THE RUST PROOFING YOUR CAR SMELT LIKE TONYS FISH AND CHIP SHOP AND IT RAN OUT THE JOINTS FOR WEEKS ..IT WAS GAURANTEED IT SAID SO ON THE STICKER THEY PUT ON THE WINDOW AS WELL AS THE MING STICKER ..LOOKED GOOD AND WHEN YOU SOLD THE CAR THE DEALER DIDNT GIVE A TOSS ...............COME ON DEAN YOU WILL GET ONE IT TAKES TIME ...........GREG ....I LIKE THE WAY YOU HAVE HIDDEN THE WIRES ON PATCHES NICE AND NEAT ..... CHEERS DAVO

So "if " I was to pick something up this week in pristine condition, what would be best practice for long term rust prevention? I have faith that if people went to that much effort to rebuild their Bellett, most of the rust would have been dealt with.

I remember stinky fish oil and the snake oil Ming protection ;)

Mine are drowned in penatrol. same deal they drip for a week. I glad wrap the door jams as when it drips on the paint and sets it will not come off and drip sheet under the car. Make sure you do the subframe as well. The maroon gt was done in 1989 the rust was cut out it was done in fisholine and stunk or months :lol: :? but still no signs of rust reappearing.
Thank Davo no wires are neat and easy to run the sponge around to keep it clean. purists don't like it much :oops: .

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:49 pm

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
gt orphanage wrote:
Gunna wrote:
BULLITT wrote:
I REMEMBER THE OLD DAYS ABOUT THE ADVERTISING .....30 YEAR GAURANTEE RUST FREE .....YEP NO PROBLEMS AND WOULD YOU LIKE THE CAR PROTECTED WITH THE MING TREATMENT AS WELL THAT ALLWAYS PRESERVES THE CARS DUCO (NOT) THE OLD DAYS OF THE RUST PROOFING YOUR CAR SMELT LIKE TONYS FISH AND CHIP SHOP AND IT RAN OUT THE JOINTS FOR WEEKS ..IT WAS GAURANTEED IT SAID SO ON THE STICKER THEY PUT ON THE WINDOW AS WELL AS THE MING STICKER ..LOOKED GOOD AND WHEN YOU SOLD THE CAR THE DEALER DIDNT GIVE A TOSS ...............COME ON DEAN YOU WILL GET ONE IT TAKES TIME ...........GREG ....I LIKE THE WAY YOU HAVE HIDDEN THE WIRES ON PATCHES NICE AND NEAT ..... CHEERS DAVO

So "if " I was to pick something up this week in pristine condition, what would be best practice for long term rust prevention? I have faith that if people went to that much effort to rebuild their Bellett, most of the rust would have been dealt with.

I remember stinky fish oil and the snake oil Ming protection ;)

Mine are drowned in penatrol. same deal they drip for a week. I glad wrap the door jams as when it drips on the paint and sets it will not come off and drip sheet under the car. Make sure you do the subframe as well. The maroon gt was done in 1989 the rust was cut out it was done in fisholine and stunk or months :lol: :? but still no signs of rust reappearing.
Thank Davo no wires are neat and easy to run the sponge around to keep it clean. purists don't like it much :oops: .

Agreed, I do the same myself. Like on the Sport, in areas not so easy to get at, i soak a rag in the fish oil and push it back and forwards inside the cavity as far as can be reached. And also pour it in where applicable or use a kero gun to squirt up in areas. But in the end, welds will always eventually start to rust because of the nature of welding, oxidising the areas around it. Just a sniff of air getting in will start it off. It may take years. No matter what one does, there are no guarantees. We never really know what is happening inside the body, until it appears on the outside..... :(

Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:26 pm
Profile WWW
Is there any value in the electronic rust inhibitors or are they like snake oil as well?

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:58 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Gunna wrote:
Is there any value in the electronic rust inhibitors or are they like snake oil as well?

snake oil

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:29 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): Isuzu Bellett, Morris Minor 1000
Well there was a brand new Nav... well I guess I shouldn't name models or brands? You know the re-release they did of the old shape. Well it could be due to the fact that we live so close to the coast and due to the factory paint job or lack there of. I did notice after brush touching over the rust on the top and bottom of the bonnet hinges that nope the electronic rust preventative item had not done its job at all. Corrosion was also a problem on the door hinges etc. I have seen other rust cars fitted with them maybe on the odd occasion they work in reverse.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:46 am
Deposit paid.
I got my old car back. Well, at least one of them anyway.
Thanks to all of those who I saw today.
Travelled 480 ks today specifically looking at GT's.

Attachments:
File comment: Gav and Goldie.
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 3.37 MiB | Viewed 19936 times ]
Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:29 am

Does this bring the pr90 closer to being on the road :?:
Well done Gunna we will have to call you doer :lol: now

Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:22 am

Gunna wrote:
Deposit paid.
I got my old car back. Well, at least one of them anyway.
Thanks to all of those who I saw today.
Travelled 480 ks today specifically looking at GT's.

well done, Dean

tel us more about the car etc too when you get it

glenn

Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:24 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 3x1965 PR20(Donkey, Jenny n Bundy) 1 1969 PR20(Percy) 2 1968 PR20(Eugine n GT Donor) 1 1968 PR91 GT, 1 1965 Wasp
That's what we like to see.... a man who puts his money where his mouth is :)
Congratulations Gunna (gunna get one that's for darn toots!)

Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:14 am
Profile YIM WWW
A little history in this one but "ALL" of the credit for this build goes to Peter who bought it off me in 1997. He took 4 years to get it going and put it on the road in 2001. It's has been used as a daily driver ever since and is in great condition.

I originally bought it from a family in the hills behind Melbourne (somewhere! Sorry I have a mind of a sieve) and was gunna do it up. I started rubbing back the panelwork and then............ well you know.

It was missing the gearbox so Peter fitted in a ZZR box which adds an advantage for the long distance driving it will be doing soon.

Peter has done a fantastic job on the GT from the last time I saw it. I hope to get some copies of a few photo's I saw today and post them up later.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:59 am

Car(s): GU Patrol, AU ute, 1969 florian deluxe, 1976 Luv & 1980 KB 4x4 isuzu
well done mate, we always like photos and stories!

Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:10 am

Phone calls to the rite people pay off it seems..... ;)

Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:47 pm
PR91 wrote:

:D

Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:16 pm

Gunna wrote:
A little history in this one but "ALL" of the credit for this build goes to Peter who bought it off me in 1997. He took 4 years to get it going and put it on the road in 2001. It's has been used as a daily driver ever since and is in great condition.

Peter has done a fantastic job on the GT from the last time I saw it. I hope to get some copies of a few photo's I saw today and post them up later.

I thought it looked familiar ! Peter's move from Vic up Nth paid off for you.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:18 am
Profile WWW

Gunna wrote:
PR91 wrote:

Make the finder's fee cheque out too 'CASH' as well

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:37 am
PR91 wrote:
Gunna wrote:
PR91 wrote:

Make the finder's fee cheque out too 'CASH' as well

As soon as I receive the tax invoice ;)

Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:41 am
Ive searched around the forum but can't find anything on repairing the GT tachometer. Can anyone point for me?

I know, I have even got the car yet and I'm gunna fix something already. :roll:

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:53 am

Gunna wrote:
Ive searched around the forum but can't find anything on repairing the GT tachometer. Can anyone point for me?

I know, I have even got the car yet and I'm gunna fix something already. :roll:

it think i have the electronic guts from one but don't know if it works........

Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:04 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next