View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
"Sport" Bellett sedan 

Car(s): '70 PR91,'69 PR20 x 2,'66 PR20,'65? KR20's x 2,'66 ? PR90,2012 d22 STR Navarra.
Glenn.
I would be very interested in what the part numbers are when they replaced your clutch.
If at all possible would you please advise what the numbers were and pic's if possible.

Thanks.
Dave.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:08 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Hi Dave

I never saw the new one, but the number was PDK42016 Kit was $165. And a bit hard to get he said.

Its not the same as a standard earlier Bellett as the internal spline count is different they told me. (Possibly Chev LUV ?)

The old one broke out one spring in the clutch plate. The whole section around the spring had apparently cracked and parted company. The one on the other side was about to go also. Fingers on the pressure plate badly worn also.

Flywheel was machined also.

see picture.

Attachments:
Bellett_sport_clutch_plate_spring problems.jpg
Bellett_sport_clutch_plate_spring problems.jpg [ 1.16 MiB | Viewed 30958 times ]

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:34 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): '70 PR91,'69 PR20 x 2,'66 PR20,'65? KR20's x 2,'66 ? PR90,2012 d22 STR Navarra.
Glenn wrote:
Hi Dave

I never saw the new one, but the number was PDK42016 Kit was $165. And a bit hard to get he said.

Its not the same as a standard earlier Bellett as the internal spline count is different they told me. (Possibly Chev LUV ?)

The old one broke out one spring in the clutch plate. The whole section around the spring had apparently cracked and parted company. The one on the other side was about to go also. Fingers on the pressure plate badly worn also.

Flywheel was machined also.

see picture.

Part number is Powerdrive. According to their info the kit is to suit all Gemini with G161Z's. All KB early series, 20 to 26 4X2 and 40 to 46 4X4 with G161Z's and C190 diesel also. No listing on Chev. LUV.
However. Clutch Industries listings quote all of the above as well as Chev. LUV. and Shuttle 2.0l diesel.
Some companies from overseas that start to import and supply in Australia only look at certain models of vehicles that are current and are after a certain date. At this point they only stock the fast moving kit and the lesser models at a minimum. That is possibly the reason why it is hard to get.
I know Clutch Industries don't stock particular kits in Brisbane. But if an order is received they source the components from all over Australia and when completed send the order as a kit.
The other point is having a motor industry supplier that uses their product. e.g. Bursons and Repco. I had never heard of Powerdrive until I started to research the part number. Maybe an old company with a new name or a new International company that has started out since I left the motor industry.
This is only a touch on the parameters of "demand and supply". There can be so many reasons to manufacture and have a market available.

Dave.

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:57 pm

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
Thanks Dave, very interesting.

I had a feeling it might be Gemini although the guy said the spline count was different. Perhaps he meant compared to a usual bellett clutch plate?

glenn

Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:04 pm
Profile WWW

Looks very much like a Gemini clutch plate to me.
It might be a different kit due to the pressure plate being a different version tho. I've seen a few with different bolt patterns.

Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:09 pm

PR91 wrote:
Looks very much like a Gemini clutch plate to me.
It might be a different kit due to the pressure plate being a different version tho. I've seen a few with different bolt patterns.

Last time i looked at a Gemini clutch was in late 70's...... memory slightly faded these days !

If you count the splines though, according to the Clutch place, it's different to a Bellett type. And even longer that i looked at one of them.

glenn

Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:47 am
Profile WWW

Another update on the Sport.

Never could get the heater to work as the tap was stuck which is pretty common in my experience. But this time, getting the old one out proved to be time consuming not to mention a crook back, while trying to work under the dash.

I eventually got it out by lightly tapping the end of the tap inwards with a small tack hammer. Just a few light blows and it started to move inwards. Then some frantic twisting/pulling with multi-grips for about half an hour and it popped it. As is usual also, the o-ring was badly cracked and worn so I went off and bought an imperial selection of O-rings finding one that fitted ok. I also tried Metric but couldn't get one that was close for some reason.

By this time the section where the handle fits (I didn't have the handle) was even more badly graunched so i decided to make a new one, since I had a bit of brass that would work. Some hours later, here it is.

Just have to put it back and try and fix the tap in the radiator. Actually there was no tap but a Nylon plug put in there with a totally different thread on it. Have to sort out something to replace it with. My question to the group, is the thread a tapered thread and size?

Attachments:
HEATER_TAP_AND_HANDLE.JPG
HEATER_TAP_AND_HANDLE.JPG [ 52.1 KiB | Viewed 30346 times ]
HEATER_TAP_INNARDS_2.JPG
HEATER_TAP_INNARDS_2.JPG [ 57 KiB | Viewed 30346 times ]

Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:54 pm
Profile WWW

Hi Glenn.
Have a parts listing showing that there was a change in the drain cock (tap) in May 1969. There is a packing (gasket) added to the list which gives me the impression that it is a straight thread. Also. The new cock will not fit the old radiators and vice versa. Design and manufacturer change.??

Dave.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:52 am

CQGT wrote:
Hi Glenn.
Have a parts listing showing that there was a change in the drain cock (tap) in May 1969. There is a packing (gasket) added to the list which gives me the impression that it is a straight thread. Also. The new cock will not fit the old radiators and vice versa. Design and manufacturer change.??

Dave.

Thanks Dave. Interesting as that's what i seemed to have found. There was a Nylon screw in it with a wing nut protrusion that was forced in as i had to use pliers for every rotation to get it out. Not easy in that confined space. A thread gauge showed it to be different to the radiator thread. Rummaging around my little Bellett bits and pieces i found an old cock and it was way too loose in the radiator.
But a better thing than the Nylon one, so i wrapped many turns of Teflon plumbers tape around it and put it in. Seems oK. And hopefully stay that way?

Put in the new heater tap only to find the handle a bit long so cut a cm off. Filled it all with green rad fluid and ran the car for about 15 minutes. No leaks anywhere and NOW the heater works great. Demister works but from memory, like my old Belletts of the past, not great.

glenn

Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:47 pm
Profile WWW

Hi Glenn.
If you get an opportunity, take your old tap into a Isuzu or GMH dealer armed with these part numbers.
ISU 9214390880. GMH 94020487. for the tap. ISU 9097205570. GMH 94020125 for the packing.
Found in KB LUV with both G161 & G161Z engines. PA Florian. T series manual trans. only. UBS Jackaroo. Chev. LUV/PUP.
If not successful I know Nissan and Hyundai had plastic taps or bungs on their cars. Or your local radiator shop.

Dave.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:12 pm

CQGT wrote:
Hi Glenn.
If you get an opportunity, take your old tap into a Isuzu or GMH dealer armed with these part numbers.
ISU 9214390880. GMH 94020487. for the tap. ISU 9097205570. GMH 94020125 for the packing.
Found in KB LUV with both G161 & G161Z engines. PA Florian. T series manual trans. only. UBS Jackaroo. Chev. LUV/PUP.
If not successful I know Nissan and Hyundai had plastic taps or bungs on their cars. Or your local radiator shop.

Dave.

Many thanks Dave. For now I think it's OK but I was thinking to pull the radiator and having it flushed and checked etc some time. Even though all seems fine with it, no overheating, no loss of water etc.

But I will do that, check out the numbers you give at our local Bursons suppliers. What is the 'packing' a rubber washer ? The nylon one in it had a washer, rubber but needs replacing too, partly why i used the old tap i found. I tried getting that washer but couldn't.

I could also turn one up on the lathe if all else fails, but my lathe screw making abilities would be severely tested !! Probably end up with a LH thread...........

glenn

Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:26 pm
Profile WWW

HI Glenn.
The parts listing does not show what the composition of the packing/washer is.
The Florian listed a different part number for the packing but the tap was a consistent part number.
Manufacturers have all sorts of reasons for changing part numbers. Design, composition, supplier change,
the design of the radiator. All these are possibilities.
I have a TF Gemini radiator. If I think of it tomorrow I'll check to see if it has a tap and the next time I go
into town and have a talk with my radiator bloke. Have been dealing with him and his father for the past
25 years and is very obliging.
Dave.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:31 pm

CQGT wrote:
HI Glenn.
The parts listing does not show what the composition of the packing/washer is.
The Florian listed a different part number for the packing but the tap was a consistent part number.
Manufacturers have all sorts of reasons for changing part numbers. Design, composition, supplier change,
the design of the radiator. All these are possibilities.
I have a TF Gemini radiator. If I think of it tomorrow I'll check to see if it has a tap and the next time I go
into town and have a talk with my radiator bloke. Have been dealing with him and his father for the past
25 years and is very obliging.
Dave.

That would be great Dave if you can find out. Gemini's are long gone from our local wreckers.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:53 am
Profile WWW

No go on the Gemini Radiator. It looks like a replacement type where they have no threaded nut to accept the tap. While I was at it I checked my PR91 convertible and it's the same. No tap. It probably would have been the same as the early models anyway.
I went into town today for hockey training and to pickup 2 vent grilles that I had at the sheet metal shop and went round to the radiator bloke and he gave me 5 taps and told me that the tap for a metal tank would most likely be the one. 12mmx1.25. The other 4 were for plastic tanks but I reckon a couple of them depending on the thread might fit. I am assuming your tanks are metal.? The sizes of the others are. 14x2.0 with an small "O" ring on the tip. 12X1.25 that fits Nissan and 2 of 15X1.5 with different lengths in the thread.
I take it that you have a thread file and there was something left of the old tap so as you may be able to measure it.
I'm going to the nationals in October and I can bring them down, and if you are not, I can give them someone who is. The other alternative is that I can post them. Let me know.

Dave.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:08 pm

Thanks Dave for your efforts. The hole appears to be 10mm x ?? pitch. My 10mm standard tap wouldn't screw right in so i am guessign the pitch was alittle different now. At the time i just thought it was a tapered thread in the rad.
Yes it's metal. Original although possibly re-cored.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:15 am
Profile WWW

Glenn.
Removed a tap out of an old radiator ['66 ?] and it is a tapered fine thread. I don't have a 1/8th gas tap at all but have a
few brass fittings. The tap screws into a 1/4 - 1/8th reducing nipple very easily and tightens about a thread from the top.
Also had a Victa lawn mower tap on hand and fits nicely into the radiator. I do know that the plugs on the side of the block
for the oil gallery are 1/8th gas.
Next time I'm in Rockhampton I'll check the wreckers at Gracemere as they have a few Jackaroos and Rodeos.

Dave.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:57 pm

CQGT wrote:
Glenn.
Removed a tap out of an old radiator ['66 ?] and it is a tapered fine thread. I don't have a 1/8th gas tap at all but have a
few brass fittings. The tap screws into a 1/4 - 1/8th reducing nipple very easily and tightens about a thread from the top.
Also had a Victa lawn mower tap on hand and fits nicely into the radiator. I do know that the plugs on the side of the block
for the oil gallery are 1/8th gas.
Next time I'm in Rockhampton I'll check the wreckers at Gracemere as they have a few Jackaroos and Rodeos.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, appreciate the info and help here. Right now its ok, ancient Bellett Tap, packed will a million turns of teflon tape, but not ideal solution. It's right into the thread.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:19 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Just a little suggestion, my Florian tap in the heater box was frozen open. I was able to find a brass hose tail fitting that screwed into the head, and a stainless metric tap with a little red handle on top. I mounted it to the inner guard and cut into the hose so I can just shut off the coolant flow manually. Pretty basic, but does the job.
Cheers, Matt.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:10 pm

Dave.[/quote]
Thanks Dave, appreciate the info and help here. Right now its ok, ancient Bellett Tap, packed will a million turns of teflon tape, but not ideal solution. It's right into the thread.[/quote]

Glenn.
Not a problem. I'm curious to what it looks like. Will take the taps back to the radiator bloke and let him know the situation. Will keep the forum posted.

Dave.

Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Car(s): 1968 PR91 Bellett GT. 2014 ISUZU MU-X, 2016 Jayco 22' Starcraft Caravan, 2013 KIA Reo shopping trolley!!
I have a similar question for one of you.
How do you clean out a blocked, block drain pipe please?
Checked mine in changing the coolant and nothing comes out, obviously I need to clear out the block drain pipe, "somehow" ??

All good though GT ready to roll to Echuca!! :D

Dave M.

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next