View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
non-Bellett... Carroll Shelby passes, aged 89. 

A very sad day in the performance and motor racing world...

The one and only Carroll Shelby has passed away on 10/5/2012 (US time) in Dallas, Texas, aged 89.

Whilst he was an acclaimed race driver himself, he was made famous by his awesome range of high performance cars that re-wrote the book on how things should be done. Best of these were the Shelby Cobra's, as well as his work developing the Shelby Mustang's, GT40's, Sunbeam Tiger's, Dodge Viper's and various other high performance cars that totalled 165 different projects over a 50 year period.
He said in a short film about his exploits at his company, Shelby American, many years ago, 'My name is Carroll Shelby, and performance is my business...'. That he certainly was, and he did it better than most, so his legacy will be felt by generations to come.

Having said this, it would be very remiss of me to not mention Shelby's charity work over a long period of time, especially via his own organisation 'Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation'. Shelby was tireless for many years to help provide for those less fortunate, and really did alot for kids to help them become all they could be when their normal circumstances would have done otherwise.

The loss of this truly wonderful man will be felt by many sections of the community, be they car related or not.
R.I.P.

Sat May 12, 2012 12:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]