View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Fuels Injections 

Car(s): Isuzu Bellett, VG Commodore Ute, Custom Chopper
Has anyone looked into fuel injecting a 1500cc Bellett?
Is there a universal plug and play kit that suits the G150? Or mix and match?
I know it could be pipe dreams but I am a dreamer and need to wrench everyday!!!!

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:10 am
Profile WWW

Plug and play EFI for a Bellett...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Most Bellett owners can't get their heads around a fully engineered and certified bolt on disc brake conversion for them so they still drive around on drums....
Anyway, your best bet would be changing the inlet manifold to a Weber unit and using a bolt on Weber pattern throttle body, then control that with an aftermarket ECU. Or there are adaptors around that allow a side draft Weber to be bolted to various standard manifolds, so that might be a way to go. One of ours is done like that with a side draft Dellorto on it. Also you could add a CAS and coil packs too so you can do away with the distributor and let the ECU control the spark as well.
Would be a pretty big project tho. Needs a bigger fuel line, a return line, EFI pump, probably a swirl pot as well, the throttle body with injectors, a good ECU, all sorts of stuff.

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:13 pm

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Fuel injection. Yeah. Sounds like a lot of work. But I suppose it could be fun if you wanted a challenge. I like that they carbie meters fuel in a rate that allows adequate performance at a good economy for driving on our roads with our speed limits.
But you have that high speed road up there, so you might get to use the extra performance.

See, I might be strange, but have always thought the old drums were good enough for the weight of the car. I don't tend to use the brake pedal much because I like to change down through the gears. But it is handy in case of an emergency. Like if someone makes a mistake or something. Don't think I've managed to wear a set of linings out yet.

Yes, I have my seniors card now. :D
Cheers, Matt.

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:21 pm

Hey Mr Red, fuel injecting an old G150 would not be that hard.

There are efi systems which are made for dummies which are impossible even for the likes of me to stuff up.

if you can make an adapter plate for your carb to intake manifold you could buy a Holley carby lookalike which is actually a fuel injector and throttle body in one. Or a weber downdraught unit. A few options there.

You will need an efi fuel pump (to give you the injector pressure) located below the lowest point of the fuel tank (Glenn P concept on white GT) or a swirl pot as suggested before .

You will need a return fuel line back to the tank usually, unless you can find a flow and pressure regulator.

The rest is fiddly bits.

It wont beat the faster belletts at the nationals this year but maybe 2020 ;)

It will give you some serious fun in learning and playing with something new. Go for it if you can.

Edit: I had a motec and a 24 pound wheel on my Yamaha Jetski, awesome fun. But looking forward to my seniors card soon! :D

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:24 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
redback wrote:
Has anyone looked into fuel injecting a 1500cc Bellett?
Is there a universal plug and play kit that suits the G150? Or mix and match?
I know it could be pipe dreams but I am a dreamer and need to wrench everyday!!!!

Gee, this is a very old post that somehow I never saw. If still interested:-
Many times I have contemplated adding EFI to a Bellett, like my Sport. As Dean says, many years ago I fitted a DOHC EFI engine to my 1st GT. Took a bit of fiddling but doable.

You won't end up with much more power, if any, but it would make the car much nicer to drive. Possibly increase mpg a bit too.

AS indicated you need a return line to the tank. I used the standard fuel line for the high pressure side with no issues. It does of course need to be fed from an EFI (hi pressure) fuel pump which I mounted beside the tank, under the car. Pump needs to be a bit lower than the tank itself to ensure it always has fuel. If they run dry they self destruct as the fuel is used to cool them. These days a better Idea would be to use an in tank pump like found in later efi cars. Find the right one and it might adapt easily into the top of the tank in place of the fuel level sender. Most have a sender included also.

AS indicated you could use Weber manifold with a suitable throttle body in place of the Weber. Note though that these things are super expensive. Or maybe mod the existing manifold to add bosses to take injectors and use a standard pair of SU type carbs simply as throttle bodies. You will need a fuel rail too. There are places on the web in Australia that sell all this kind of stuff. eg https://www.efihardware.com/ Don't be put off by the pricing.... there are ways to get this sort of stuff from wrecker yards.

There are many aftermarket EFI computers available on the market. Most run at least $1000 or so. You can also get DIY EFI computers like the Megasquirt or Speeduino. The latter can be built under about $150 or so, at home. It's a basic computer but more than adequate for this application. It will also control the spark if you wish. You use wasted spark, where two cylinders are both fed spark at same time but only one is on the power cycle. You will need a toothed wheel on the harmonic balancer to get timing info to the computer.

Here's a Speeduino PCB on eBay for example. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003315562770.html?spm=a2g0o.ppclist.product.2.ad74PTmRPTmRIv&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21AUD%21AU%20%2456.89%21AU%20%2436.47%21%21%21%21%21%402101c84a16615024494083776e2081%2112000025173252452%21btf&_t=pvid:b723d1d8-cdaf-401a-bb09-6ea21d937590&afTraceInfo=1005003315562770__pc__pcBridgePPC__xxxxxx__1661502449

A great project if you some spare time...........

Glenn

Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:33 am
Profile WWW

Hey thanks Glenn for your reply. I know I asked the question 3 years ago but I have been having fun updating my Bellett (Stinky) over this time. I am still looking into the fuel injection and when I am ready I will take heaps of photos and information here. Cheers mate.

Last edited by redback on Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:54 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
redback wrote:
Hey thanks Glenn for you reply. I know I asked the question 3 years ago but I have been having fun updating my Bellett (Stinky) over this time. I am still looking into the fuel injection and when I am ready I will take heaps of photos and information here. Cheers mate.

No problem. It's still on my mind also!

There's a car that you can take the whole system off. A Holden (small car) i think...... a search might find it. But the particular car has a separate EFI loom that can be removed from the car easily along with injectors and all the sensors. Including the Delco efi computer which can be re-programmed for almost any other car. Software is available to do that. So almost a Plug and Play system.
Still leaves mounting the injectors and a throttle body but even that could be re-used with some alloy welding skills. Uses a single throttle body.

If I recall the actual car I will post it here.

Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:23 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1967 GT Bellett
Hey Glenn

Nissan Pulsar N12 / Holden Astra

:)

Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:23 am

flying wrote:
Hey Glenn

Nissan Pulsar N12 / Holden Astra

:)

YES, that's the one used. Might be a bit rare these days in wreckers but I have checked out one years ago and all looks easy to remove. Gives you all the wiring, EFI computer and throttle body. Great start. If you want to use another computer, should be easy to adapt also.

glenn

Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:02 am
Profile WWW

delco ecu and efi system off
pulsar/astra/camira is an easy system to work with and use, can tune yourself also

if you were gonna do it may not be a bad idea to run motorbike throttles or a similar ITB setup, may be easier than modifying the factory intake to suit injector bungs and fuel rails

in terms of controlling it speeduino would be a good choice, just need a crank trigger which you can run off of the balancer with some engineering, could also update the ignition side of it too...

Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:34 am

Thanks Kombat. Appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge. That all sound doable. I agree about the motorcycle throttle body as well - it would be a great option.
Cheers
Neil

Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:54 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]