View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:19 am



Reply to topic  [ 890 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
the life of rolie 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:30 am
Posts: 458
Car(s): Alfa 33, 1935 Riley Special
Reply with quote
Thanks guys....but we might have got lucky with my European connections. My old friend Dick from the Netherlands has put me in touch with some folk in the States who are replacing an engine in an early LUV.
We're just trying to sort the shipping as we speak. We wait and hope.


Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:49 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 2:23 am
Posts: 2651
Location: Melb.
Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's. M/B A250 Sport, i30
Reply with quote
Pombellett wrote:
Thanks guys....but we might have got lucky with my European connections. My old friend Dick from the Netherlands has put me in touch with some folk in the States who are replacing an engine in an early LUV.
We're just trying to sort the shipping as we speak. We wait and hope.


Good luck Mark. Hope it all happens and works out ok,

Glenn

_________________
'72 PR60 Sport


Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:53 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:30 am
Posts: 458
Car(s): Alfa 33, 1935 Riley Special
Reply with quote
Well Glen, we got there....from Colorado US to Bognor UK.
Attachment:
IMG_0837.jpg
IMG_0837.jpg [ 126.47 KiB | Viewed 1214 times ]

Now the work begins again....strip down and remove the perfectly STRAIGHT crank and build the best race engine we've built to date. What could possibly go wrong?


Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:01 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 2:23 am
Posts: 2651
Location: Melb.
Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's. M/B A250 Sport, i30
Reply with quote
Pombellett wrote:
Well Glen, we got there....from Colorado US to Bognor UK.
Attachment:
IMG_0837.jpg

Now the work begins again....strip down and remove the perfectly STRAIGHT crank and build the best race engine we've built to date. What could possibly go wrong?


Quite a trip.......

Good news Mark. I see that engine has the smog crap on it, not that it matters for your purposes. Hope it all goes well and HP doubles at least !!

_________________
'72 PR60 Sport


Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:56 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:30 am
Posts: 458
Car(s): Alfa 33, 1935 Riley Special
Reply with quote
Well, I'm not sure about double Glen, but we're hoping for a 'significant' improvement.
We're actually trying to get a bit clever and combine the 1600 head from my earlier engine (which has a better squish zone) with the 1800 bottom end.
This should lead to a decent gain in compression...….etc, etc....

And now we're playing musical valves, errr, which one goes where? ….urmmm
Attachment:
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0964.JPG [ 105.08 KiB | Viewed 912 times ]


Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:23 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 2:23 am
Posts: 2651
Location: Melb.
Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's. M/B A250 Sport, i30
Reply with quote
Pombellett wrote:
Well, I'm not sure about double Glen, but we're hoping for a 'significant' improvement.
We're actually trying to get a bit clever and combine the 1600 head from my earlier engine (which has a better squish zone) with the 1800 bottom end.
This should lead to a decent gain in compression...….etc, etc....

And now we're playing musical valves, errr, which one goes where? ….urmmm
Attachment:
IMG_0964.JPG


Were u running as a 1600 before? What are the rules for this, you can run any similar configuration engine from Isuzu maybe ?

_________________
'72 PR60 Sport


Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:31 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:30 am
Posts: 458
Car(s): Alfa 33, 1935 Riley Special
Reply with quote
Yes, we were running the 1600cc G161ss motor......we got a bit greedy with the pistons, and as we managed to steadily improve the revs, they started to slap the under side of the head.
We had to prep another engine in a hurry, and it just so happened I had an 1800 out of a Chev LUV under the bench, we reckoned on it being quicker to do this than sort the problems with the 1600.

Historic club racing's pretty flexible here, and as long as you're not ripping up trees, or running an Impreza engine, the organisers will let you play.....and let's face it, there's not a lot known about Belletts on these shores!


Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:33 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 2:23 am
Posts: 2651
Location: Melb.
Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's. M/B A250 Sport, i30
Reply with quote
Pombellett wrote:
Yes, we were running the 1600cc G161ss motor......we got a bit greedy with the pistons, and as we managed to steadily improve the revs, they started to slap the under side of the head.
We had to prep another engine in a hurry, and it just so happened I had an 1800 out of a Chev LUV under the bench, we reckoned on it being quicker to do this than sort the problems with the 1600.

Historic club racing's pretty flexible here, and as long as you're not ripping up trees, or running an Impreza engine, the organisers will let you play.....and let's face it, there's not a lot known about Belletts on these shores!


Slapping the head, not good. OK on the rules being a bit flexible. For a Bellett they would have to be due to parts availability if nothing else.

_________________
'72 PR60 Sport


Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:48 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:30 am
Posts: 458
Car(s): Alfa 33, 1935 Riley Special
Reply with quote
Talking of parts availability Glen...because we've mashed up so many flywheels in our attempts to lighten them.....I've bitten the bullet.
Attachment:
IMG_1030.JPG
IMG_1030.JPG [ 66.64 KiB | Viewed 445 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1031.JPG
IMG_1031.JPG [ 63.21 KiB | Viewed 445 times ]

Well...…I keep saying it's our last engine.....and it's pretty!


Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:29 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 2:23 am
Posts: 2651
Location: Melb.
Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's. M/B A250 Sport, i30
Reply with quote
Very pretty. Pity it's hidden.

_________________
'72 PR60 Sport


Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:00 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 890 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.