View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Glenn's Piazza Turbo powered GT 

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
The last GT I had was a white car and came from way up nth in N.G. The lady who owned it had kept it registered for many years, even thouh it had sat in a shed for most of them as her husband had died. The boot was a surprise being full of brand new spare parts, for steering rack, rubbers, joints etc etc.

The plans for it were to fit a Piazza Turbo 2L engine. Piazza's are none too common but I found an engine and started to fit it to the GT. Since, to my knowlege, this had never been done before, it was a learning experience. Again using an old front cut from Peter, the engine was dummied into the front sheet metal. LOT's of issues here. You will see that the rear of the engine has lots of pipes protruding backwards. This meant the motor needed to mounted forwards to clear the firewall or cut the firewall. Not keen to do the later but lots of measuring shows that engine is a bit shorter than a Bellett anyway so no problem there. Engine mounts fabricated ok without any drama EXCEPT that the oil pump regulator or whatver it is on the R side of the motor hits everything ! The obvious solution was to rotate it around 90degrees to clear engine mounts and the sub frame, so i did a metal casting course and cast up a new section to rotate things about. New brackets had to be made to fit the alternator to the other side of the motor also.

Next issue was the intercooler. The original one fitted under the mudguard area o i think of the Piazza but no matter, i didn't have it anyway. I got one from a Turbo RX7 (at great cost I might add, wreckers thought they were made of gold at the time) I managed to get that mounted but had to move the radiator backwards a bit also.....anyway, lots of work and fabrication later I decided to sell the car (now regretted !) due to space constraints with another project going on also. My plan for the conversion was to make all reversable, in case the original engine ever went back into the car.

I had done a fair bit on the GT already but happy to see it finally find a new home and I think pretty close to getting back on the road. When I got it, it had some very strange aftermarket rear lights on it, after obviously suffering a hit in the rear. This was repaired and original lights re-fitted.

glenn

Attachments:
Piazza turbo16.jpg
Piazza turbo16.jpg [ 53.9 KiB | Viewed 9689 times ]
Piazza turbo15.jpg
Piazza turbo15.jpg [ 54.7 KiB | Viewed 9689 times ]
Piazza turbo14.jpg
Piazza turbo14.jpg [ 58.82 KiB | Viewed 9689 times ]
Piazza turbo13.jpg
Piazza turbo13.jpg [ 54.6 KiB | Viewed 9689 times ]
Piazza turbo12.jpg
Piazza turbo12.jpg [ 59.63 KiB | Viewed 9689 times ]
Piazza turbo11.jpg
Piazza turbo11.jpg [ 66.23 KiB | Viewed 9689 times ]

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:36 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
what a great way to see how the motors going to fit without crawling all over the mudgaurds ...mate you have done the graff and thanks for all your inspiring photos and knowledge cheers davo

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:59 pm

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
A couple more then !

Attachments:
File comment: Battery has to move also !
Piazza2.jpg
Piazza2.jpg [ 60.64 KiB | Viewed 9680 times ]
File comment: front of engine, mounts started. NOTE also where the water runs down the side to radiator
Piazza.jpg
Piazza.jpg [ 57.93 KiB | Viewed 9680 times ]

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:38 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
what a great template ..i guess guys thought how does he fit em in ? ...well done glenn cheers davo

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:34 am

This would have made quite a 'sleeper' in a sedan.

180hp stock, easily more, with mild boost increase etc.

The engine was later sold and went back into a Piazza !

Glenn

Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:40 am
Profile WWW

can confirm the GT that was to receive the Piazza engine is very close to being back on the road, but in a fully resto'd back to original form.
looks VERY nice too.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:15 am

That's great to hear and i know Peter is doing an excellent job on it.

I always regretted selling that car as it was the best one I ever found. As for restoration, perhaps I should have also gone down that path, but bigger engines in small cars seem to get the better of me ! But it was otherwise unmolested and I did do a lot of work bring the rear and interior etc back to original also.

glenn

Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:22 am
Profile WWW

A couple more pics of the car. The rear had been hit at some stage in it's life and replaced with some huge round lights. These had to go of course !

The offending sections were removed and replaced with the 'proper' lights using the Oxy.

glenn

Attachments:
The WHT NG GT2.jpg
The WHT NG GT2.jpg [ 1.5 MiB | Viewed 9635 times ]

Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:20 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]