View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Seat replacment. 

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
Hi guys,

Into the third week of replacing the original (violet crumbled) seats in the GT. Got these seats cheaply from dismantlers Jepps Cross. They fit and siut, only problem is the runners and mounting points are offset and completely different from the originals. Soooo...
The measuring and drawing of adaptor plates. I got them back from the metal fabricators today and quickly learnt they had missenterpreted what I had told them in a 20 min conversation in detail. The opposing seatbrackets weren't a mirror image as requested and some angles were missenterpreted. Anyhow, a quick trip back to them and we can rebend and modify the existing brackets. :oops: not happy Jen but its all about perseverence. Meanwhile, back in the "bat cave" some pics of the empty GT (MT GT). Brad on the floor, the old seats (don't take the covers off, aagh, violet crumble all over the shed), the new seats (much like what i've seen of a Late model GT). Should have revised brackets next week. Wll put next pics up when installing.

B.

Attachments:
seat7.jpg
seat7.jpg [ 32.64 KiB | Viewed 38950 times ]
seat4.jpg
seat4.jpg [ 47.25 KiB | Viewed 38949 times ]
seat6.jpg
seat6.jpg [ 39.18 KiB | Viewed 38953 times ]
seat9.jpg
seat9.jpg [ 40.03 KiB | Viewed 38948 times ]
seat3.jpg
seat3.jpg [ 39.43 KiB | Viewed 38947 times ]
seat1.jpg
seat1.jpg [ 19.32 KiB | Viewed 38947 times ]
Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:00 pm

Here are the seats to go in, sorry had to post again (poor "E" literacy skills)

Bear with :roll:

B. 8-)

Attachments:
seat8.jpg
seat8.jpg [ 38.85 KiB | Viewed 38941 times ]
seat 10.jpg
seat 10.jpg [ 35.99 KiB | Viewed 38941 times ]
Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:07 pm

Car(s): 1967 Isuzu Bellett GT, 1969 Isuzu Bellett Deluxe sedan
Mate, no good when you spend a lot of time explaining what you want, only to get back a daft draft. Maybe they need to spend a little less time making pretty pictures and a little more time listening to the client. Anyway, by the look of the Epson box next to the new seats, which I can only assume the contents of which will be fitted to the gt at the same time, you'll be able to assist the boys in blue by offering to print a copy of the infringment notice on the spot, and if they say please, throw in a nice head & shoulders for their wife.

Good luck.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:54 pm

Geez Paul...Thanks for the encouragment :lol: (and witt). I threw the epson box in just to get that kind'a comment. I figured compliance might be an issue, but my moderate driving style shouldn't attract much attention. (did I say "moderate" and GT in the same breath? :? ) The aim is to improve driver saftey and comfort although legallity is questionable. In the worst case I can still put the old seats back, and maybe one day I'll afford to reapolster. Oh, and the pretty pics are my hand drawn drafts as well as the 20 min explanation (and they still got it wrong :cry: ). Hope mark II is a goer.

p.s. As for the head and shoulders...Nooo waaay!! Just too ugly. Their wives would disown them for sure.

B. 8-)

Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:28 pm

Car(s): Isuzu DMax LSU, Isuzu MUX, 1979 117 Coupe.
You will have no problems with compliance. Just remember that the Bellett was/is not subject to any ADRs. Therefore by upgrading the seat to an item that meets the ADRs you are improving the safety. Just a point, Make sure the seat belt mounts go to the original points. I see the seat have belts on. the Bellett seat mount will not take the strain. I have had it happen to a Bellett many years ago. The insurance company would not repair the floor damage after a collision.

I have had Toyota and Honda seats in mine. Next is a nice set of Recaros

Peter

Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:11 am

Thanks '65, that restores a whole heap of confidence in getting this project done. You have also answered my next querrie, seatbelts. I recently put in new lap belts fitted to the two mounting points on the rear floor pan. This means I'll remove the belt clip that is provided on the inside of the new seats. Does the high back seat require the full retractable sash or is the lap belt still ok, saftey or legally ?

B.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:22 am

That is a good point. The lap belt is still legal. As the standard for the time did not require seat belts. On a personal side I would be inclined to look at a harness. There are some on the market that are approved for road use. They are suprisingly comfortable. If you go lap sash. I would suggest inertia reel that way you won't trip the rear seat passengers as they alight. Most things relate to the year of manufacture. So those rules are the ones applied.

The only time that stricter rules come into play are when major upgrades are made ie different engines etc. For example when I built my Bellett with the ZZR motor I had to have seat belts on all seating positions, laminated windscreen, 2 speed wipers, radial tyres and upgrade the brakes just to name a few. Safety equipment as long as fitted correctly is never an issue with the RWC people or Mr. Plod.

BTW the seats you have got look good.

Peter

Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:08 am

Much valuable info "65, Definitely retractables down the track. Mark II brackets not without dramas though. Ther'e still not understanding "mirored" instead of "replicated". Meanwhile, Iv'e been doing some cosmetics while the seats are out. Polishing the alloy skirtings along the door sides, cleaning and blacking out the rear seat frontice, some armourall'ing etc.

More pics soon as I'll get more time for it next few days.

B. 8-)

Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:27 pm

Seats are in !!! Pics of the fitting stage on Mon 29th (usb sitting at work)

B.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:54 pm

hi guys, as promised pics of the fitting. Also polished kickboard, seat belt mountings, rear seat enhancement...

Attachments:
bs4.jpg
bs4.jpg [ 36.64 KiB | Viewed 38725 times ]
bs2.jpg
bs2.jpg [ 42.76 KiB | Viewed 38726 times ]
bs1.jpg
bs1.jpg [ 39.72 KiB | Viewed 38725 times ]
bs6.jpg
bs6.jpg [ 47.6 KiB | Viewed 38725 times ]
bs5.jpg
bs5.jpg [ 45.41 KiB | Viewed 38722 times ]
bs3.jpg
bs3.jpg [ 34.08 KiB | Viewed 38722 times ]
Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:40 pm

And the finished item.

Some purists out there might be offended :shock: but it's a more controlled driving possy, and way more comfo than sitting on your arse throwing ape arms.

Only thing is the seats are raised and just touch my hair on the roof lining, 5 ft 10..1/2. Great for small japanese guys. The newies should settle with time. Meanwhile, heaps firmer and straighter than before.

Woohooo 8-)

Attachments:
bs7.jpg
bs7.jpg [ 33.63 KiB | Viewed 38722 times ]
bs8.jpg
bs8.jpg [ 36.4 KiB | Viewed 38723 times ]
Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:53 pm

They look terrific. Comfort and safety first on an everyday car.

Peter

Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:08 am

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
GTtoo wrote:
sitting on your arse throwing ape arms

"What is a driver doing when trying to apply opposite lock in a Bellett with a standard steering wheel?"

This is like Jeopardy with Tony Barber.

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:31 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): see user name
Just to put my 2 bobs worth in , just have a good think of where you put the seat belt mounts -
I keep looking at my GT with lap/sah seatbelts mounted from the "C" pillar (I'm talking about the top mount !) . It just doesn't look strong enough and the bolt looks untidy . - Craig

Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:10 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): '65 Wasp w/Florian G161, '66 Hillman Super Minx Wagon(now under daughter's ownership), F350 Super Duty, Jayco Caravan
Hi, I am restoring a Hillman Super Minx Estate Wagon and it originally came with only front seat belts. Did you install the belt anchors yourself? if so, how did you do it and do you have any pics. It looks a lot neater than the original mods where you have to drill large holes into the floor and use 6mm backing plates, etc. Thank you, clyde

Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:35 am

Hi Clyde. Just had a detailed explanation ready to submit, but bellettnet and the internet disappeared on me, Bummer. Here goes again, maybe the abreviated version.

Lap belts, are a kit, from any auto accessory place. Autopro $75, and the full sash $95.
Look at the close up of the belt mounting point assembly. The rounded non shiny bit in the middle of the assembly is the original rear floor pan "eyelette". these are bolted into the floor and need a sledge hammer to even start moving them. The rest of the assembly are the bolt, nut, spring washers, alloy bush (through the centre of the assembly, allowing the belt to swivell for the sraightest pull in an impact, god forrbid) and large washers, all supplied in the kit. Instructions with the kit are good. I'll post a pic or two of the assembly loosened up, as this only takes a few seconds to dismantle. Depending on the original mounting points of whatever classic you have , may depend on how you configure the assembly provided in the kit, or choice of either lap or full sash.

You're right Craig, trying to fit a full sash looked like a headache, and may not have been strong enough for an impact (dirty word). '65 put it in a nutshell.

By the way....No more Tony Barber, but still the same Ape behind the wheel :lol:
B 8-)

Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:33 pm

Car(s): 1978 TD Gemini
Found this out a while ago, thought I'd post it up with a pic. Bellett rails will bolt to a Gemini seat but that puts the rails too wide. However, if you peel back the material a bit you will find another set of mounting holes that will make the rails the right distance for a Bellett, pics:

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:48 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
bellett65 wrote:
That is a good point. The lap belt is still legal. As the standard for the time did not require seat belts. On a personal side I would be inclined to look at a harness. There are some on the market that are approved for road use. They are suprisingly comfortable. If you go lap sash. I would suggest inertia reel that way you won't trip the rear seat passengers as they alight. Most things relate to the year of manufacture. So those rules are the ones applied.

The only time that stricter rules come into play are when major upgrades are made ie different engines etc. For example when I built my Bellett with the ZZR motor I had to have seat belts on all seating positions, laminated windscreen, 2 speed wipers, radial tyres and upgrade the brakes just to name a few. Safety equipment as long as fitted correctly is never an issue with the RWC people or Mr. Plod.

BTW the seats you have got look good.

Peter

In my Sport, (same as a GT in this area) lap sash lower mounts are in the way of rear entering passengers. A right pain really. I was going to move the hole rearwards a bit but that would have added more inspection by the engineer rather than use the original mounts. Maybe later...

glenn

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:56 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
GTtoo wrote:
hi guys, as promised pics of the fitting. Also polished kickboard, seat belt mountings, rear seat enhancement...

I don't wish to be negative here but the mounts, especially at the front have no provision to stop the bracket twisting. ie if you fit the seat and press down very hard on the front, (or have an accident with forward shifting loads as you slide fowards) ) those brackets will want to twist downwards.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]