View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Not another Wasp 

KB20 / 40 is 3 inches wider than a Wasp..... So no.
KB chassis and Wasp body won't fit unless widened or it will have the wheels outside the body.
KB body and Wasp chassis won't fit unless narrowed or body is too wide for the rest.

I reckon the twin cab Wasp is bloody cool.
Unusual yes, but if u don't like unusual cars, why are u here?

Apparently 3 long wheelbase Wasps were imported, but that's not documented as the other total import number is.
Is hear say only.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:55 am

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
PR91 wrote:
KB chassis and Wasp body won't fit unless widened or it will have the wheels outside the body.
KB body and Wasp chassis won't fit unless narrowed or body is too wide for the rest.

thats not much.... 1.5" a side, maybe wheels can be offset to suit? Interesting idea though. I think I would tend to leave it as is being pretty rare although i wouldn't fancy trying to drive one at 6'

Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:46 am
Profile WWW

Found this on the web, not sure about 2 lwb coming into oz, up till a week ago when I found this one, I didn't even know they made lwb

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 108.98 KiB | Viewed 28355 times ]
Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:16 am

Glenn wrote:
PR91 wrote:

thats not much.... 1.5" a side, maybe wheels can be offset to suit? Interesting idea though. I think I would tend to leave it as is being pretty rare although i wouldn't fancy trying to drive one at 6'

Wheels not possible.
A Wasp already needs hugely positive offset wheels as is and adding another 38mm to that will have the mounting face outside of the rim.
And it's a lot more than just wheels that are the problem. Line up of just about everything else is different.
Anything can be done with enuf time and money, but why would u?

Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:04 pm

v6wasp wrote:
Found this on the web, not sure about 2 lwb coming into oz, up till a week ago when I found this one, I didn't even know they made lwb

Wonder where all that info came from...... Written by Dave on his own website.
2 LWB is wrong. I stated otherwise earlier.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:05 pm

Car(s): '72 Sport Bellett (imported 180912), M/B AMG A35, i30, had Belletts in past, 2 sed, 3 GT's.
PR91 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
PR91 wrote:

Wheels not possible.
A Wasp already needs hugely positive offset wheels as is and adding another 38mm to that will have the mounting face outside of the rim.
And it's a lot more than just wheels that are the problem. Line up of just about everything else is different.
Anything can be done with enuf time and money, but why would u?

thanks for that info Brett. Maybe flares....

Alternate is to add a bit down the centre of the car, then the windscreen becomes a problem.....yes, why would you i guess.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:08 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): Peugeot 206 GTi 180, Ford Fiesta, Bond Equipe 2-Litre GT, Mazda R360 Coupe, Nissan CSP-311 Silvia. PAST: Bellett 1600GT
Cool, well at least it's plausible it's a rare LWB...I did ask the same question on FB and didn't get a reply, so assumed no-one there knew the ins and outs of Wasp vs Luv. I reckon it's an awesome find...it's been kicking around for a bit, so hope it finds a good home soon.

Lots of talk about Wasps being suitable for midgets only...Dave squeezes in, how the hell does Brett fit in one? :shock: I heard the same of the Silvia, but I got in okay...where there's a will there's a way.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:17 pm

A standard bench seat isn't too bad. Wouldn't want to be in a bend in one tho.
Put different seats in that sit 3 inches further forward tho..... Yeah. Then u start modifying other stuff, which means u modify more stuff down the line as well.
Been there, done that..... And driven it to Canberra and back (800k each way). Twice.
Never again.

Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:13 am

Car(s): 67 Bellett Auto Sedan, 65 Wasp, 73 Chev Luv, 1/2 A Chev Luv, VX Commodore
Someone put mini seats in mine, had a set fully
Re done and are quite comfy and prob be in the same
position as the bench seat......but I am a relatively short
Individual :-)

Josh

Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:58 am

Car(s): Bellett GT, Bellett Sedan, Prince Skyline GT, Porsche tractor, Lanz Bulldog, 996 Carrera 4,Prince Miler,
Early Mini seats are the "go"(very thin low backs on them ) ......... did that conversion in 1969 ! Worked really well , tilt forward and store your lunch etc. under the seat plus handy storage between the seats . Problem is, where do you get early Mini seats now..........?
KB

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:06 am

Car(s): 67 Bellett Auto Sedan, 65 Wasp, 73 Chev Luv, 1/2 A Chev Luv, VX Commodore
Still see them at swap meets here,
The ones that came in the Wasp were pretty
far gone, I had bought diaphrams and back straps
out of the UK and then found a set with great vinyl
but shot foam, diaphram etc at a swap meet for $50.
A friend re foamed an fitted the bits i had and even
He was surprised at how comfy they were.
If you are after a set I can keep an eye out here.

Josh

Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:44 pm

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Funny how a thread can run. All good fun ideas. A new Wasp discovery is an exciting event!
My advice: Buy it if you are able. They are all rare, and a long wheelbase, however is has occured, has the axle well placed not to be too rear heavy when loaded. Overlength people could consider chopping a cab, lengthing it and fitting a Bellett roof, a-la V6 Wasp. Or just toughen up and get in! Rhys is 185cm and drives Shrek ok. True that you cant see his eyes when looking through the side window though!
Fortunately, like Josh I'm short, so its all too easy. My first Wasp has had the steering column shortened about 10cm, and its amazing how much roomier that feels.
It is a true story that I once drove a Wasp from Gulgong to Sydney, 170 miles with 2 adult and 4 child passengers. True.
Very cosy.
Cheers, Matt.

Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:52 pm

Car(s): 1967 bellett gt, wasp trayback , 2018 d-max 4x4 dual cab LSU, 2016 Focus, 1996 GQ Patrol
I still believe there was more than three LWB Wasps.
I had one back in the 90's that I couldn't find a home for ( pre Bellett.net ) that no longer exists. :cry:
Now we know of one at Bembooka, plus Farmer has one, and now this one. So at least four made it here, so how many more ?

Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:34 pm

Definatley gota see one back on the road :D :D :D

Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:33 pm

Not sure what seat these are..

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 2.2 MiB | Viewed 28222 times ]
Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:27 am

The do look Mini'ish, I have attatched a photo of the Mk2 Mini seats that replaced ones
that were already in my Wasp.
My guess is they could be Mk1 or Mk2 Mini or at least early British.
There were plenty of Morris , Austin's etc with similar tilt forward seats

Josh

Attachments:
IMG_0937.JPG
IMG_0937.JPG [ 412.22 KiB | Viewed 28210 times ]
Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2