View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Isuzu - Spirit of Truck 

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Hopefully if all goes well, I've set up a blog-like-section whereby I can cast my innermost musings across the World Wide Web like a disgruntled Gen-Y emo child, and you can respond if you would like to decry my opinions without being able to start your own topics. A bit like a call-and-response musical piece, except with no music, lots of jabber about cars and probably the odd swear-word.

If all hasn't gone well, Official Forum Guru Antus (OFGA) will be fixing whatever train wreck I've just caused.

Anyway, the reason I've decided to do this and got the blessing of my co-moderators, is that I like this website, and I like typing. I’m good at typing. I was once accused of typing like a girl, which I took as complement.

So I was wondering if I should start some kind of blog-like thing. I can’t guarantee it will be regularly updated nor I can I guarantee it will be solely about Isuzus, but this one is the first one and this one IS about Isuzus.

I just saw an advert for the Isuzu D-Max. Now most of you would agree that until Isuzu bring out something small, rear wheel drive, twin cam and faster than a speeding bullet, I’ll probably not be visiting an Isuzu Ute dealership. But I watched the advert anyway and yelled out to my colleagues “Isuzu!” and pointed at the television screen. They looked up and smiled at me with mild amusement, the same way people smile at children and retarded people.

Then I noticed Isuzu's new catchphrase; “SPIRIT OF TRUCK”.

I like sentences that sound like they’re being sprouted by Japanese superheros and channelling the Spirit of Truck would be a good special skill to have. So instead of yelling “Isuzu” at my colleagues, I will next time yell “Spirit of Truck” and hit one of them with a shovel.

The other Isuzu-related topic for today’s sermon involves Import Monster. A few weeks ago, I signed up to their website, sent them some money and bought some stuff. The other day I duly received some lenses and a couple of brochures. Now, I love my Isuzu brochures and because Isuzu made more individual brochures for the Bellett than actual individual examples of Bellett they constructed, the collection is now getting rather large.

But then I start looking at the Florian brochures. And because I now have a Florian, these seem pretty enticing. And I’m even half-peering at the Piazza brochures. They were sold here, albeit as a Holden and while they don't hold the same charm as the more classic Isuzus, I quite like the brochures.

Then I find a PRE-WORLD WAR TWO brochure for their cab-chassis truck range. Hmm, it’s classic and highly desirable, but not $600 desirable (or $900 landed through Import Monster, thanks). I thought my $300 Isuzu Statesman brochure, which I have scanned and freely shared with you all, was extravagant enough.

While that truck brochure IS pre-War and obviously exceedingly rare, those kind of dollars could score me a couple of wrecked Bellett sedans for parts and I'd still have enough cash to buy a shovel.

Spirit of Truck!

Cheers,

Dave

https://www.facebook.com/garageofawesome

Street Machine! Unique Cars! Awesome!

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:43 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1965 Wasp, 1966 Bellett, 1967 Bellett, 1969 Florian, 1973 Bellett GTR, 1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu, 1978 Gemini van
Looks like I broke it. No replies at this stage!! Stay tuned!

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:02 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): BA Falcon, 68 Bellett
Love it, our own Jeremy Clarkson in the making.
Remember us when you are rich and famous :lol: :lol: :lol:

SPIRIT OF TRUCK :D

Cheers
Rob

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:27 am

Hmm looks like it does work!

Cheers,

testDave

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:17 am

Car(s): 1967 Isuzu Bellett GT, 1969 Isuzu Bellett Deluxe sedan
dave wrote:
I like sentences that sound like they’re being sprouted by Japanese superheros and channelling the Spirit of Truck would be a good special skill to have. So instead of yelling “Isuzu” at my colleagues, I will next time yell “Spirit of Truck” and hit one of them with a shovel.

Keep punchin' Dave. You make me laugh, and what you write is sometimes funny too. (DO NOT take this as a come-on...)

So you type like a girl huh; is that all? :o

I'll have to remember to run and hide if I see you at a hardware store duly purchasing an implement typically used for digging. Much like I assume the local pharmacist hides behind the counter now that you've got your new blog. :twisted:

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:10 am

Car(s): '65 Wasp w/Florian G161, '66 Hillman Super Minx Wagon(now under daughter's ownership), F350 Super Duty, Jayco Caravan
All I can say is that if they made/imported cars here and if they were as good as my DMax is......I'd be visiting the dealership! Clyde

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:16 am

Good to hear the DMax has a vote of confidence from an experienced owner!

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:18 am
Profile WWW

Car(s): Doris, AuntyMary, Shrek, Jimmy; GT, Wasp, Flo & Sed unrestos; 65 Elf; 82 Rodeo, 60 TX550, 72 Sport, & a Sigma.
Ditto here, I like reading your stuff, and your buying makes me look like less of a fanatic to Tracy!
Glad you're happy with the D-Max, Clyde. Makes sense, I read that it is the worlds biggest selling single model! Must be millions of them in Asia. SPIRIT OF TRUCK.
Hmmm, some new Japan design cars would be real nice now they've finally shaken off G.M. Only took 30 years! Wonderfull G.F.C.- cheaper fuel, intrest rates down, free cash from Kev, free insulation in our house (no, not the shitty foil stuff), & G.M. out of Isuzu!! Now for some solar panels.
And some cars in showrooms. SPIRIT OF BELLETT!!
All good, Matt.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:22 am

Car(s): 2 x '69 Bellett Sedans, 1 x '64 Bellett ( Sports Sedan ) 1 x '98 Jackaroo.
Hey Dave, the more you collect and share with us Isuzu folk or any other products is well greeted, if you and others do not share, we would possibly not know what what ever was thought of or designed, keep it going, I am sure many read but do not reply, but will have enjoyed what has been displayed. I myself enjoy all topics on Bellett.net, but do not reply to all, though I am enjoying all that has been posted. regards geoff.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:04 pm

dave wrote:
They looked up and smiled at me with mild amusement, the same way people smile at children and retarded people.

bellett.net GOLD!!
should be the site's new motto......

dave wrote:
Then I noticed Isuzu's new catchphrase; “SPIRIT OF TRUCK”.

for young players, dave is correct in the "spirit of TRUCK" motto, but..........
the "spirit of ......" actually dates back to the earlier, more important, and much superior Bellett days!
**edit! i cocked up folks. please read edit in my next post, and read the shields in the ad better than i did the first time. that's not hard to do tho!!**

in the late 60's, Isuzu went on an advertising campain centred around the "spirit of".
for those who haven't seen them before, Isuzu came up with these medieval shield-looking logo's that were used extensively on sales brochures, in magazine ads, etc, with the Bellett-based one having a wolf's head on it with the words "SPIRIT OF THE SPORTY PEOPLE", while the Florian had a goat's head with "SPIRIT OF THE GENTLE PEOPLE" emblazened across it.

oohhhh, i just realised.... with the goat being the pagen devil worshipper's symbol, maybe as dave is our resident proud Flo owner, he's also into weird rituals and burning things....... or maybe not.......

i'll have to scan and post the Isuzu ad i have here to show u all.

rant on dave!!!!!!!

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:24 am

here ya go
sporty people and gentle people unite!

**edit from above!
i wearly learnededed hoe toooooooo red atda skool proper like-ed, didnut e.
if i'd read this damn ad closer before posting earlier, i would have seen that the shields in this ad clearly say "SYMBOL of ....", not "SPIRIT of ...."
sorry all, my bad, but hey, it's still along the same idea!!
enjoy!!**

Attachment:
sportygentle.jpg
sportygentle.jpg [ 287.34 KiB | Viewed 22833 times ]

the bellett rep on the left has a "it wasn't me sir........ honest" look, while the florian rep on the right has the classic "ugh, me warrior man!" look!

this is an original ad from a late 60's japanese magazine. it was removed by a contact i have in kobe, and sent to me along with a stack of other bellett sedan and GT ads from the same period.
even tho they are 99% written in japanese, some of the engrish translations within the ads are absolute crack up's. real 1960's-70's gems!
when i can get some time from the madness of the day to day grind, i'll scan and post them for u all to have a giggle at!

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:39 am

Car(s): 1964 GT Isuzu Bellett
There is certainly madness in your day to day grind PR91. Keep the shield at about that level, and we would definitely enjoy "soma ingerish do". :lol: No offence to those reading this who master the japanese language and it it's cultural identity.

Two symbols, "sporty people and gentle people", and most of us are both.

And they were using buffed up, young, caucassian dudes dressed (or not) like larger than life sized greek gods, or roman foot soldiers who have just had their togas stolen by french villagers :shock:

B 8-)

btw, imagine getting to visit the ex Isuzu managers collection. The kind of stuff bizzare dreams are made of.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]