View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
GT window brackets 

Car(s): 1966 Bellett GT, 1968 Bellett GT, 2017 Subaru Levorg 2.0 GTS
Hey guys,

I have just made a set of GT rear hopper window frame corner brackets in stainless steel with accurately fitted M4 screws. You know, the ones which rust out because they are only made of mild steel and squeeze the window rubber and corner apart after 40 years or so. I can make up extra pairs if anyone is interested for say $25 bucks a set of 4.

You need a bit of patience to install them by first removing the window assembly from car. Then, with a knife, carefully prise up sections of the outer seal off the contact adhesive to reveal the bracket screws which need to be drilled out (they will be rusted in). Carefully pull the bottom part of the window frame away from the glass keeping in mind that the rear old bracket although rusty and fragile is bent more than 90 degrees. Hold the glass in a TIMBER vice to help pull the top part of the frame off. At this stage don't be alarmed if you feel crumbly bits rain down on your feet, its just the rusted brackets.

Hopefully your old window seal could be used again if not perished. I was fortunate to find one last set of new inner seals I had stashed away from 1992. (The Old Rubber Company should have a replica profile which would be suitable but you would have to cut corners in and join it.)

Once all debris is cleaned out and seal in place then install the new brackets. Rear sharp angled corner bracket first followed by front 90 degree one. Bracket angle may need a bit of tweeking.

Cheers ;)
Lewis

Attachments:
File comment: GT rear side window corner brackets
IMG_0199 [1600x1200].JPG
IMG_0199 [1600x1200].JPG [ 472.33 KiB | Viewed 7024 times ]
Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:27 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1968 Bellett 1300 2dr, 06 Scion XA ,05 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Turbo HO
Man, the windows couldn't be ignored; tooo much rust (sorry) it's got to go, poor thing's been through a sand storm ...
I didnt have a wood vise though ... :shock: we did manage however to get it all apart.... :P
Those brackets would be helpful, I'll pm ...

Regards
Mark

Attachments:
bellett exterior 081.jpg
bellett exterior 081.jpg [ 151.13 KiB | Viewed 6969 times ]
Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:50 pm
Profile WWW

Car(s): 1966 TEARDROP ...MANUAL ...
you did well getting them out and no breakages stay with it mate it could be the only 2 door in the usa cheers davo

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:13 pm

Car(s): 1967 bellett gt, wasp trayback , 2018 d-max 4x4 dual cab LSU, 2016 Focus, 1996 GQ Patrol
Hi Lewis,
I have just found this link, and would be interested in a set of these. Maybe when you could send me a set when you get the Wasp badges done too??

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]